• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Osage Bowl
Jim Bremer

Osage Bowl

Osage Orange with segmented rim of Purple Heart, Ebony, and Maple. 11"x4"
Updated Photo.
Jim,
Does the osage orange have that red streaking? I have never seen a piece with that colorization. Or is it the light or the rim making the osage orange look that red?

Just curous. I love this style of work. How much time is spent assembling the rim?

John Taylor

John,
Thanks for the complement. The color in the photo is a bit on the red side. Even the Purple Heart is redder than it should be. It takes two or three hours to cut and glue a rim like this. I glue the segments with Gorilla glue. It's a slow drying glue so you have about twenty minutes to complete it. I use a strap clamp to hold it together. The glue takes at least eight hours to dry, and it's a expanding glue. (see my photo gallery for a picture of a rim being glued.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Jim Bremer
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Share this media

Back