• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Pedestal Dish
B

Pedestal Dish

The piece was finished last month. The pedestal is Elm and was turned as practice prior to completing Vicki Jordans Compote from her Beloved Tree. That left me with a nice useable pedestal without a bowl or dish. So, I searched through my rough turning inventory for a bowl which would fit in size to complete this piece. The suitable bowl was Red Pecan and the reason for dying. Wood colors and grain difference seemed too apparent. Now this is a dyed and fluted Pecan Dish with an Elm pedestal. Dye was applied with an airbrush. The finish used was Waterlox followed by the Beall buffer. The piece stands 7 high by 8 diameter.
Hi Bill, like I said I loved your other piece. This one is just as wonderful. Your fluting is absolutely exquisite, especially knowing that you don't have an ornamental lathe.

Congratulations on a job well done.

Thanks Mike, your comment is appreciated.

Andy, Thanks for your kind words. No, I do not have an ornamental lathe. Wish I did, but then I would have to learn how to manipulate that too. More fun this way.

Guys, I am glad that you like this piece.

Bill, you produced a winner this time! Well done!

Turning of the Week, 06/13/11
AAW Home Page Photo

Thanks Kurt, I am sincerely humbled. Did not expect this response. Thanks for your selection as Turning of the Week.

Hey, Bill, I don't think you'd be able to flute it on an ornamental lathe. I know of no OL that can do a piece that size, maybe just the pedestal.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Bill Pottorf
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Device