• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Platter
Gerald Kornelsen

Platter

This platter is made from glued up layers of American Woodturner magazine. I have been a member of AAW for many years and the magazines were piling up.

I have done several platters like this over the last few years, using up subscriptions of WOOD magazine, National Geographic, and lots of old paper maps.

About 15" diameter. Finished with several coats of water-based poly.
I generally glue up between 10 and 20 sheets per session, then let it cure for at least a week. I put plastic wrap over it and then a piece of plywood or such. I usually have several glue-ups going at the same time, so I spend an hour or two doing glue, then stack them up with a 5 gallon bucket filled with water on top. Each glue-up ends up with probably at least 100 sheets. After they are set up, I put them on top of the hot air duct for a couple of months. (One of the few upsides of having a long winter!) I use any type of glossy magazine paper. Newsprint gets soggy. I like to put the most colourful side of the paper facing up so the platter ends up having more distinct lines on the inside face.

I use regular woodworkers glue - whatever is on sale by the gallon. Usually yellow, like Titebond, but also Elmer's white. I water it down by about 10% so it soaks into the paper better. Squirt bottle and a 4" foam roller work well. If you wrap the roller in plastic wrap after each session you can use it for months.

Once it is fully cured and dried, it turns almost like wood. The shavings come off in long strands - on heavier cuts, they can be 4 feet long. Although it is technically taboo, I use my spindle roughing gouge to do most of the cutting on the inside face of the platter, It has a wide flute that avoids clogging. I have tried all my various tools, but most bowl gouges (both traditional and swept grinds), clog up too easily. Another situation where you must keep your tools very sharp.

Then sanding to 220, and, typically 5 or 6 coats, but up to 10 coats of water-based poly. I use a paint stripper (you could use a hair dryer) about 6-8" away to speed up drying between coats. That way I can do all the coats in one session.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Gerald Kornelsen
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Filename