• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Potter's Voice
Truffuls

Potter's Voice

Spalted Maple (Domestic)
Dimensions
5"W x 5"H Walls 1/8" thick

This is the last piece of wood I received from John & Vicki Jordan in the "Voice of a Beloved Tree" project (http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/group.php?gid=100819066635706&ref=ts) where their much loved maple tree, which stood over many generations of the family, had to come down to avoid destroying their home. Over 150 artists have received pieces of the tree to make an international tribute to the source of our craft.

I was headed for a sphere with this one but Mother Nature said no. As always, she was right again. Somewhere in my memory I remembered seeing an old piece of pottery with this shape. There is a lot of figure and streaks of spalting on this piece. One of the rays of figure actually had me thinking it was a tool mark. After 3 hours of sanding and a potty break, the light hit it just right when I came back. Is playing with wood ever a waste of time? Certainly not! I'd quit the day job in a heart beat to do this full time!
There are no comments to display.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Truffuls
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata