• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Pseudopalmus Cherry Bowl
Michael Anderson

Pseudopalmus Cherry Bowl

The name is a bit of nonsense, but fun. "Fake palm" because to me the texture has the appearance of an endgrain Black Palm bowl. However, the wood is Black Cherry. I created the texture on the exterior with a sharp woodburning tip applied mostly in an upward stabbing motion. I also added a lot of fine lines to make it more interesting. I scrubbed the surface with a nylon brush. The process was tedious and time-consuming, but I really like the end result. The bowl has a calabash shape, and I added a foot because I think the texture benefits from a lift. Finished with hemp oil. 6.5"d x 3.25"h
Beautiful form and the contrast between the interior finish and exterior is striking. I really like the shape and agree that it benefits from the subtle foot. And the rim bevel and treatment are really appealing. Another masterful piece, Michael!

Here are some views of the interior and the bottom:

ap2BQtG.jpeg

NOJlvvP.jpeg

I will also add that this is my first time using an engraver to sign my name. A total game changer! I got the idea from Kelly Dunn, and ended up buy a cheap (~$9) electric engraver from Harbor Freight. Nothing else compares to how fine you can sign. I still need a bit of practice, but I think the engraver is here to stay.

Thank you very much Mark and Odie! Black Cherry is such a beautiful wood--it just made sense to capture the color in the interior.

Question: Did you color the lettering after the engraving?
I did not. I suspect that the engraver compresses and sheers the wood fibers simultaneously, so when oil is applied it naturally darkens the engraving. Similar to the darkening effect achieved with kolrosing.

ap2BQtG.jpeg

NOJlvvP.jpeg

I will also add that this is my first time using an engraver to sign my name. A total game changer! I got the idea from Kelly Dunn, and ended up buy a cheap (~$9) electric engraver from Harbor Freight. Nothing else compares to how fine you can sign. I still need a bit of practice, but I think the engraver is here to stay.
These two photos display how beautifully this was done. Superb job Michael.

Brilliant! Craftsmanship comes shining through.

ap2BQtG.jpeg

NOJlvvP.jpeg

Ok I told myself I wasn't going to download any more of your work for inspiration.... but this piece was so well executed that I had to yield. Nicely done. Love the texture. Now I have to look into woodburning. How does the Razertip system compare to the one you use?
Cheers.
Barry W. Larson
Calgary, Alberta, Canada eh!

Thank you Tom and Barry! Tom, it’s been a while since I turned a bowl with a foot, so kind of just stared at it for a while (too long) until an idea came to mind haha.

@Barry Larson, that’s some high praise! The texture took some perseverance :p There are a lot of possibilities with woodburning. I wish I could offer better commentary, but my current unit is the only one I have experience with (Detail Master Excalibre 8600). It delivers up to 130 watts and goes to 2000 Fahrenheit. I like it a lot, though the pens get pretty toasty. Looking at the Razertip systems, it’s probably similar to the SS-D10. I’m still a newbie though—but I have spent much of this foot recovery time practicing with carving and woodburning. Like a forced crash course lol

Last edited:

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Michael Anderson
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata