• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Purple Flora
Eldon Richey

Purple Flora

13-inch Maple Platter. The piece was airbrushed with transparent acrylic paint.
What finish did you use and did you put it on before or after the airbrushing. Great work and thanks for sharing!
Thank you for your kind comments. Paint was applied directly on the bare wood. I raise the grain with alcohol and sand prior to painting because the water in the paint will raise the grain. This helps keep the surface smooth. After it is painted, I gently smooth the raised grain from the paint with 0000 grade steel wool. This helps significantly. The front of the platter is then finished with several light coats of clear acrylic lacquer (gloss) - rattle can. I then smooth the surface with 0000 grade steel wool between coats of lacquer. Hope this helps.

Media information

Album
Eldon's Woodturning
Added by
Eldon Richey
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Filename