• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Rust
Robbie Graham

Rust

Wood: Radiata Pine
Diam: 225mm (8-3/4")
Height: 130mm (5-1/8")
Finish: Instant rust

This is my pine entry into a comp coming up soon. The piece has to be made out of Radiata pine but unfortunately pine pieces are hard to sell so I decided to cover up the pine, which was very coarse grained and still very wet. (I can hear the purists saying, I can't see any wood! Well you wouldn't want to in this case). This piece of wood was destined for the fire but was the only piece of pine that was big enough to make something of a reasonable size. I turned it quite thin, microwaved it, carved it then gave it more time in the microwave until completely dry. You never quite know what the finished piece is going to look like when using the instant rust, which makes it fun. The idea behind this piece was to look as though it was fabricated out of rusty steel plate.
Comments welcome
Too bad you don't celebrate Thanksgiving or some other harvest holiday down in NZ. With a small "lid" carved to look like a stem, you would have a pretty good pumpkin there.

Did you use a commercial "instant rust" product or a homemade brew? Very nice effect. Looks great (even if you can't see any of the wood!!).

Ed

Thanks Ed, My wife thinks it looks a lot like a pumpkin as well.
It is a commercial product and I purchased it from porters paints in Auckland, NZ.
Cheers, Robbie

Robbie, Do you know if Porter's products are available in the US? We have a Porter Paint which is a PPG company and apparently has no conection to the Porter's in NZ.

George

Hi George, sorry I don't know but here is a link to their site http://www.porterspaints.co.nz/sp-liquid-iron.html
cheers, Robbie

very nice, i like the contrast with your other work, its hard to imagine that New Zealand,s Dusky Sound was shaped by glaciers

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Robbie Graham
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Filename