• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Trio
underdog

Trio

Boxes are all Maple from scrounged up "4x4" stickers off of lumber shipments.
The box on the left has a spalted Dogwood/Walnut insert. The wood for the box on the back was chosen for it's figure and color (proximity to a knot). The box in the front was my first attempt at a shape I've seen in boxes Mike Stafford makes (as well as Robert Chapman).
I'm too lazy to get the tape measure and tell you how tall these are, but the tall one is probably 3-1/2 inches high just to give you the scale.
Critiques welcome.
Underdog, these are very nice boxes, and better still that they came from scrap lumber! Gratz!

POD 08-26-08
AAW Home Page Photo Of the Day

I like the one on the left the best. The shape and the proportions seem just right to me. The insert was a nice touch. Really nice box.

The one in back seems to be widest at where the lid and body meet. That just doesn't look right to me. I would have liked it more if that area was no larger than the rest of the box.

The one front right looks pretty good for a first attempt at that style of box.

Congratulations on getting POD.

Ed

Wow. Thanks for the POD. This makes day two of having the cover of a website with this picture. I'm pleased and flattered.

I do like making boxes. I have enjoyed these boxes sitting on my desk at home. It will soon be time for them to go to new homes, and to make some more.

Thanks for the compliments and the critiques.

Jim, these are three sweet little boxes. They deserve separate posts and I would love to see the pictures taken at a slightly more horizontal angle so we can see the side shape a little more. Good work and I hope you will post more boxes.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
underdog
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Filename