• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Small Christmas 'Calabash'
Ron Solfest

Small Christmas 'Calabash'

5 7/8" x 2 7/8", 3/16" walls from laminate of Sapele, Padauk, Maple and Cherry; DO finish

After a calabash thread here a few months ago I've been intrigued by this shape. Although I have yet to make a true calabash form, I keep playing around it. After a thread on another forum yesterday I think I realized one of the reasons I'm drawn to this shape (bulbous rounded bottom, curve in and up towards top) is it mimicks the center cross-section of a cedarstrip canoe I built 25yrs ago with the rounded, faired, sides coming in as they reached upwards towards the gunnels.
Russ Braun - thanks! But I still don’t consider myself a segmenter as all of my glue-up’s are face grain; too many years flat working to experiment with cross-grain or end-grain joints…yet :)

PS - I’m in awe of your segmented pieces

Russ Braun - thanks! But I still don’t consider myself a segmenter as all of my glue-up’s are face grain; too many years flat working to experiment with cross-grain or end-grain joints…yet :)

PS - I’m in awe of your segmented pieces
More than one piece of wood and glue qualifies Ron. I just glued up segments with a one degree angle. Heck, that used to be straight with a dull blade and a warped piece of wood, haha!!

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Ron Solfest
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Filename