• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Small lidded box basket illusion
John Rander

Small lidded box basket illusion

This is my first completed basket illusion (experts please excuse a beginner's heavy handed & irregular burning...). The design and coloration were inspired by Northern California Indian baskets, but small lidded ones such as this were probably twined (not coiled). Lime wood; 5” tall and 2 ¾“ wide.
@Curtis Fuller Thanks Curtis. Your lidded basket illusion sparked this try; it seemed like the right place to start (and there's only one side to do!:D). Your comments were helpful.

@Jean-Louis Meynier Jean-Louis thanks. Your comments and the videos on your webpage were quite helpful. In particular your insistence to look at the Indian baskets themselves was a real inspiration. Honestly, fifty years ago as a young rock climber enchanted by the vertical granite walls of Yosemite Valley, I hadn’t given much thought to those who had lived before down in the forest below us. Now, working quietly on this basket illusion I had time to reflect about the Indian women gathering redbud shoots each rainy winter to obtain the darkest reds that my Faber-Castell “sanguine” pen was imitating.

Media information

Album
My first year
Added by
John Rander
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
5.00 star(s) 1 ratings

Image metadata

Device