• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Spalted Cypress Vase
David Somers

Spalted Cypress Vase

This was from a tree cut only 2 months prior to being worked. Amazing how fast things begin to rot in the Islands.
Nice vase David. Yes it is surprising how fast some woods will rot. Hackberry seems to spalt within a month here in Texas. In fact I don't think I've ever turned any of it fast enough to avoid at least some spalt.

Thanks Jeff. I appreciate any harder thoughts and critiques you have on these pieces by the way. Shape, choice of wood, composition, etc. I am totally new to this and have been really stretching on these first turnings both in terms of my turning skills and also my eye for shape and form. Afraid I am working in a kind of isolation. I have artists all around me here in Volcano working in all kinds of media, and turners all over the Big Island, but I am gone so much I never get to see these folks, let alone know them. You folks are my best source of criticism at this point. Fire away!!! I need the feedback.

For example, on this vase, It seems like the base may be a bit wide in relationship to the top (started out with a wider top and a taller form, but a long delay in the turning process allowed some cracks to form in the rim and the base and I had to shorten it and pare the rim width some to recover.) Seems like the location of the pith and the spalting pattern saved me though. The spalting was a lucky accident. Reminds me of sunset here in Hawaii. My wife grabbed it right away and said "Mine!" which was quite gratifying!!

Thanks again!!!

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
David Somers
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata