• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Sphericon I
mfoster

Sphericon I

I stumbled across a new class of math generated 3D forms. This was a trial run to see if I could pull it off to turn one.

The form actually only has one surface and will roll down in an incline in a wonky fashion with the whole surface coming into contact upon each revolution.

The stand and the form are both chestnut. My receptionist's family took down a chestnut tree last summer and this is the first finished piece from that tree. I used the iron/vinegar technique for ebonizing the stand and am not real happy with it. It is hard to see due to the uneven black, but the stand is actually turned on 5 centers. I think I will use some shoe dye to give it more of an even color.

Form is Chestnut, with Krylon 5" x 5"
Stand is Chestnut, Vinegar/iron and tung oil
11" high on stand
Reactions: Kirk Amidon
your comments on ebonizing are interesting - i have had exactly the same issues with oak, if you happen come up with an improved method of iron ebonizing, i'd be interested to hear.
superb form!
well done
j

Mike your understanding of, &, ability to play with shapes in the way you do is a mystery to most of us I'm sure,
Another fabulous piece of work, actually looks quite fragile / delicate.
I'm playing with some of David Springett's easier pieces but admit they are driving me crazy :: ))

FANTASTIC JOB and really COOL ! (ok that give away my age a little).

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
mfoster
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
5.00 star(s) 1 ratings

Image metadata

Filename