• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Team NewZealand
Terry Scott

Team NewZealand

Ok Girls and boys, you havent seen any posts for a while, you see I have been rather busy preparing for an exhibition called Crawled out of the woodwork and secondly work for the Kawerau wood skills festival.(plus my real job came calling )
If you go to http://www.timberly.co.nz/news.htm I have placed a link to the last 2 years of the Kawerau competition and also the Crawled out of the woodwork.
Every year at Kawerau they add a different category on top of the normal ones being
Pinus radiata Anything made from pine doesnt have to be woodturned
Carving, traditional
Carving any kind
Traditional woodturning has to have less than 10% carving or embellishment
Artistic woodturning any turning with more than 10% carving or embellishment
This years extra was a category called Kiwiana anything NewZealand

I looked up the net and came up with items like a buzzy bee, kiwifruit, tiki, e.t.c
These didnt help with an idea .On our coffee table we have a book called The history of the Americas cup bingo .I decided I would try and make a scaled model of black magic .Hopefully it will be seen as Kiwiana .This may well be the only woodturned item in this section .You have to be in to win as they say
The hull was turned between centres and then mounted using my backing board system and 15 bowls turned over lapping to form the ribs, a Koru pattern was then painstakingly burnt inside.
The keel was carved separately and a bulb shape turned and added.
The perplex stand was also turned
The hull has 2 coats of black lacquer then about 10 clear to give depth to the water like appearance.
The anti fowl area was then masked off and a white, then a grey tint sprayed on followed by 10 coats of clear lacquer. I didnt like the end result of the atifowl so then sprayed with incandescent paint followed by another 5 of lacquer with an airbrush .It know has the appearance of just being lifted out of the water
The scale is 1/30
Comments welcomed
www.timberly.co.nz
0r blog http://terry-scott.blogspot.com/

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Terry Scott
Date added
View count
Comment count