• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
The Adkins Project
Scott Hackler

The Adkins Project

Last year (2011), my friend Jim Adkins gifted me a very large block of redwood. Somewhere around 10" cubed. Even through the chainsaw marks, you could faintly make out the distinctive appearance of figure. This block felt dry and I knew that someday I would turn it and I wouldn't have to worry about roughing and re-turning.

Now comes the stress. Time after time I would stare at this block and think " I would really like to turn this, but don't want to mess it up." And time after time I passed, afraid of ruining this giant block of a wood that is super rare in Kansas. Plus I wanted to "do it justice" and turn the largest form I could out of the blank.

Forward to last week and as I was trying to get some projects finished up for SWAT in Waco, my wife said I should make something out of the wood Jim gave me. More stress! So I picked it up .....again....and off to the band saw to square it up. I needed to slice 1" off one side and after I committed, MORE STRESS....as the figure was revealed. Little eyes and figure everywhere! This was a block of redwood BURL!!! So on to the lathe and I just decided to go for it. Here is the end result. I am very pleased on several accounts. 1st, that I didn't destroy it and 2nd that this is my largest hollow form to date.

Anyone going to SWAT, can see this one in person. Hope Jim approves!!

7 1/2" wide x 7" tall. 7/8" hole, a little less than 1/4" thick. 4 coats of tung oil finish, 5 coats of WOP, beal buffed and Ren wax.

Comments and critiques welcome, thanks.
Beautiful Scott. I'll bet most of us have a piece of wood that's been in the shop for quite a while because of what you so aptly described. I probably have more than most.

Hey Scott I bet Jim is OK with his gift to you, probably even want's it baCK :)
Love the form on this piece
Pete

Scott.......

I know exactly what you mean about waiting and waiting to finally tackle a particular piece of wood. When the "inspiration" comes.......well, you just know when you know......it's time!

Great job of it.....

ooc

I have a growing inventory that I have set aside for this same reason! This piece serves as inspiration to have a go at them, thanks for pushing through Scott!

Maybe we should start a series called "Trepidation" and see what comes of it?

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Scott Hackler
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Filename