• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
The big one
J

The big one

Here's my biggest effort to date. This is one piece of cherry, 27 3/4" diameter. Submitted to Guiness, and they couldn't find a bigger one, but wouldn't list it because they said there was no category for it, and they wouldn't start one. Humpf. Turned non stop, except for two 2 hour breaks, 40 hours of constant turning. Quite grueling, but ended up with no checks or cracks, and very little warping. It was on display at Cornell for a while. Haven't found the right customer yet!
It's beautiful. That must have been a huge piece of cherry!! I use a 3520B also. 'Haven't tried the bed extension yet, though, but I'm eager to do so if I can find a big enough blank.

You are right, Bob, I don't expect to see the equal of the tree this piece came from. I have photos of the process from tree to finished piece, and if I can figure out how to do it, I will post them all to an album here.
Thanks for that Dylan! I turned 4 of these giants from that tree, 3 were commissions, and this is the biggest, and it is for sale, just haven't found the right home for it yet.

What a bowl! Nicely done John! 40 hours of turning on one project is a tough task indeed, but you appear to have put a nice work out there, so Kudos to you for all the effort! I have a large cherry, but it's not that large! Question: did that blank come from a half piece of the log? It appears as it did, and If so, that was one big tree!

Thanks Roger. I will never see the likes of that tree again. I am trying to figure out how to post a bunch of photos I have showing the process....soon I hope.... the tree was 41" diameter at the base, and this came from the side of the trunk, but less than half of it. The process to achieve a stable, check free finished piece this size might be interesting to someone looking to make a giant like this. I hope I can provide the details soon.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
John Volcko
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
5.00 star(s) 1 ratings

Image metadata

Filename