• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
"The Secrets Within"
Alan Carter

"The Secrets Within"

This is probably the most complex piece I've made to date. It's a reliquary, meaning it has a hidden container inside that can hold a precious object, or "relic", but that hidden container is also a cryptex. Think "da Vinci Code". The small turned element with the brass finial visible through the opening in the ebony turning on the underside is actually attached to the cryptex. When you romove the top, the cryptex with the attached pieces comes out as well. The next photo shows some of the details.

The cryptex is opened by turning the 4 rings with the letters (dry transfers) until they line up properly, spelling out the password. In this case, it's "open me" on 2 adjacent lines. Not too clever a password, but it works.

Making the cryptex itself wasn't terribly difficult, but getting all the parts sized right and lined up correctly was the real challenge.

The eucalyptus burl main vessel is suspended from the frame with black pins.

The piece is 19"Hx10"x10". It's made of eucalyptus burl, ebony, Indian rosewood, and maple.

Comments and questions welcome.
Alan, this is a magnificent piece. I hope to see it on the front page of.....you name it.
one question, how long time have you used to turn/make this?

Another interesting and exciting piece, Alan. Always fun looking at your work. Never boring that's for sure! Well done.
Don L.

Alan your work is amazing Congrats on the cover of Wow
At the AAw you work created quite a hum I hear
Cheers

You nailed it again, Alan. Loving this one, as well as the others. Proportions, craftsmanship, and wood choices are spot on. Great execution. Glad to have met you in Hartford. Sure we'll hook up again! Donna says hi also!

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Alan Carter
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Filename