• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
TiteRopeWalker
C

TiteRopeWalker

I like incorporating actual movement in pieces.

I like to put familiar things in unfamiliar settings.

I like to have familiar things behave in an unfamiliar way.

I like interactive pieces you can play with rather than just look at.

I like this piece because it meets the above criteria - was fun to figure out how to make and fun to play with.

The somewhat familiar finialed and icicled ornament is suspended by monofilament line strung between the two upright "candles" in candle stick holders. The ornament can be swung and swayed by twisting the "collar" on the left "candle" and can be slid left or right by raising or lowering that "collar".

Redardless of how the "ornament" is tilted or rocked - the finial remains vertical - because it's a pendulum - a ball and socket where it joins the ornament and a counter weight hidden inside the ornament. If the ornament is rocked far enough, the counter weight inside taps the inside of the ornament, creating a rhythmic sound.

The bottom of the "icicle" is a turned lead fishing weight, with a small hematite sphere glued to cover the hole in the bottom of the weight.

The "table top" the candle stick holders sit on is french polished with a garnet shellac and reflects what's above it - providing a bottom view of the ornament - a perspective seldom seen.

This is one of the trickiest pieces I've done, a lot of fun to do and more fun to play with. It's in a private collection in San Diego - and hopefully it's played with often.

The genesis of this idea and how the piece evolved is here, with more details than you can shake a stick at.

http://web.hypersurf.com/~charlie2/Turning/TightRopeWalker/TightRopeWalker.html

A YouTube vid of the piece in action is here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7n73rtHFBZM

And if you're curious about how to do a ball and socket swivel joint and where the idea for it came from

http://web.hypersurf.com/~charlie2/Turning/Articulation/Articulation0.html

This piece was my entry in the WoodCentral Elegant Forms Contest. Didn't win a thing but how often do you get the chance to have Cindy Drozda, David Ellsworth and Trent Bosch critique one of your pieces?

Comments, questions, suggestions and constructive criticism welcomed.
Charlie, your pieces are always worthy of a second look or three. They take me off the beaten path just far enough to elicit a "how far could you take this?" response.

Jake:

I suspect a ball and socket joint can be used in more ways than I can think of. I tend to stumble on things, play with them a while, and wander on to maybe stumble on something else interesting. But I try to provide "the next guy" (or "next gal") some info that may make it easier for them to go farther down that path - and maybe share what THEY find with "the next gal" (or "next guy")

I'm the type who wants to see what's over the next hill - the one that doesn't have an obvious beaten path over it. I typically don't stay anywhere for long. It's the folks who settle down in a place that build towns and cities and "make something of the place".

So now that you're off the beaten path and have asked yourself "How far could you take this?" - have you come up with an answer - or two? If so, care to share?

Doing pieces that actually move, or change, or both, preferably interactively, requires video rather than a still image or two to convey the piece more fully. That means learning to take and edit video - a bit trickier than working with PhotoShop or other image editing means. And if the piece includes sound as well - or an accompanying sound track . . .

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
charlie b
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Filename