• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
"John Owen's Adventure"
rmuniak

"John Owen's Adventure"

64" x 36" diam
Box Elder - Poplar
Photo: Arla Heiser
This is for my grandson John Owen Dumm who is almost 7 and he has muscular distrophy. For the rest of his life (hopefully a cure will come soon) his parents have decided to give him a lifetime of fun and adventure. So the piece is my way of showing this with a space rocket. I started by making the sphere which I turned in halves. My lathe is just an old school lathe with a 6" swing believe it or not but the throat alows me to do 16" diameters. The legs of course were acrved and the table and arms were done on my special machine pictured amoung my photos. I had a great deal of fun with this piece because it was so chalnging especially working out logistics for the limited size of my lathe. I guess it was an adventure for me as well.
There is so much to say here, superbly creative and executed for its stated purpose. I wish John Owen Drumm, God Speed toward a cure.

Find the fun. It's usually around - if you look for it You're really good at finding it. And you ain't too shabby a turner and woodworker either.

Every kid needs a grandpa like you.

Thanks for sharing the piece, the story - and your crazy wonderful approach to life.

A fun and well done piece that deserves to be given to your Grandson. Very well done on all counts.
Don L.

Neat piece. It will mean more to your grandson the older he gets. My son is 33, has muscular dystrophy, been in a wheelchair for 27 years. Should have died 16 years ago. Keep giving that love to John, he needs it.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
rmuniak
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Filename