• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
To Autumn
A

To Autumn

Autumn is my favorite time of the year. I was born in autumn and as a child when autumn arrived I knew Christmas was just around the corner with all those hopes and wants for that time of year. For me this time of year has always been filled with happiness and fond memories of family and friends.

I wanted a piece that would remind me of this time of year. I still had a desire to do a little more exploration with this shape. I had done a commission piece in this shape a couple of month's back and really liked the form. With this piece I closed the opening down a little and blended a color combination that I felt represented autumn in my mind. I really like the way the green and gold resins blended/faded in the piece and the way the colors distributed in the acorn caps. I also wanted to make a bit of a surprise for those that decided to look in the vessel. I gilded the inside in 23k gold leaf. The piece is much more subdued than the typical bright colors with the sharp contrast that I make but that was the look I wanted.

The piece is a smaller piece than I typically make. I guess it is about 4.5 inches or so tall and about 4 inches in diameter. The finish is my typical gloss CA finish that I do on my smaller pieces. Of course materials are acorn caps with gold and green resins with a live oak burl rim and 23K gold leaf.

I call the piece "To Autumn" as a tribute to this time of year.

As always cheers and jeers are welcome. Thanks for looking.

Alan
Wow Alan, the form on its own is beautiful, but the additional work you have done is fabulous. Hats of to this one :cool2:

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Alan Trout
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Device