• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Vessel - 557
E

Vessel - 557

The wood is Red Oak. I used a black patinating wax rubbed into the grain to cause what you see. The next photo shows the rays of the oak which are not affected much by the wax. The open grain of this Red Oak is great for this type of treatment. Later the vessel was buffed with just a cotton flannel wheel.

The size of this piece is 9" dia x 6.5" tall. I turned it green all the way. It's less than 1/8" thick and is still moving a bit. The bottom is round and the vessel sits where it wants.
Reactions: Karl Koch
i like your bowl and the effect of the black patinating wax, is that all you use when you use the black patinating wax or do you or can you use this with other oils such as danish oil???????

Thank you baitbegger. Very good question. I neglected to say that I used Danish oil first. Waited several days for it to completely dry and then applied the patinating wax. So feel free to use any finish you like first so long as it does not seal up the grain.

would a tall fairly thin vase in sassafrass be a canidate for the black patinating wax??, i am in process of finishing now with more than several coats of danish oil

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Ed Koenig
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Device