• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Weathered Post
Terry Scott

Weathered Post

Weathered Post
Burl Tree series No 3

Allot bigger than the first two this was quite a challenge as it stands finished at 1m 39 inches high
This my third piece in my Burl tree series is once again influenced by my surroundings.
At our holiday home and many beaches around NewZealand most of the coastal property has been farm land and farmers used to take fencing down to the low water mark. Remnants of these fences are still to be seen that some pour farm hand had to chisel holes into bed rock. They were lucky if the rock was sandstone but often like I have tried to convey by using a Kanuka Burl at the base of my post was often larva rock. How they ever chipped away the rock between tides by hand is a mystery.
The post part was another branch covered in small burls, my boat building days enabled me to scribe and carve the post /branch into the burl. This is done by the sight method and a trick I have come up with by sitting the post on the burl carve a little away and by repeating the process by oiling the end of the post and placing on the burl and removing the wet spots .
The post is such a tight fit that it looks like the larva has entrapped the post
After the shaping of the inside of all the burls the piece was then attacked with my new king Arthur set of Merlin that I fitted to my Mini Arbotec
The backing board that I used looks like Swiss cheese there are so many holes were the tek screws went to hold each turning position .Using a large been bag behind the burls turned helped to keep the bark from being damaged against the backing board The Crabs were carved with the aid of hand chisels and dremel. The shell was turned then carved.
The bug holes and texture were then carved using a ball bit in the dremel .I was surprised by the realism of this after I wire brushed and sandblasted the worm holes.
The piece was then bleached, I was a bit worried as when applying the bleach the wood went orange. In the morning I was delighted to find it had gone white ,my first success with bleaching although I did wire brush the bleach to take away some of the glare as it was to white.
Sprayed with Artist fixative to hold the colour then Lacquered with a thin coat of Acrylic lacquer.
I will try and find an old piece of fencing wire and some staples and add to the top of the post as I think it is lacking something to pull the piece together
I need to work on the name any ideas welcomed

Comments welcome
Yes I work but I come home for lunch L.O.l ,sleep what!!! even in my dreams I am wood turning . Only inside tonight as its that dam cold in the shed.

Beautiful piece of work Terry. This is my favorite in your series. How many burls are on this piece? Each burl represents a different turning axis right? How much did this piece weigh when you started spinning it?
This is pretty amazing that you did all this work on such a large scaled piece, excellent! May be you can get some sleep next year.

You know I didn't count them about 20 ,I had to cheat on 3 as I didn't have enough swing . About 10kg .The worm holes took a couple of hours to texture and carve .Never thought id have so much fun being a borer
Cheers

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Terry Scott
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata