• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
White Oak Button 2
Peter Van Rijssen

White Oak Button 2

Small burl from a felled white oak. Finished with Mylands Friction Polish. 3" x 5"
Peter, I agree with Alan's comment above. Nice little bowl and love that grain!
However, I don't think any friction polish is a suitable finish for a bowl - even a small one like this, unless you spend a lot more time finishing the finish. All those streaks are a distraction from your fine work. Just my 2¢. ;)

However, I don't think any friction polish is a suitable finish for a bowl - even a small one like this, unless you spend a lot more time finishing the finish. All those streaks are a distraction from your fine work. Just my 2¢. ;)
Thanks for the advice Tom. Your 2c is well received!

That is one incredible bit of grain pattern. Wow! And a very nice bowl as well. Is it a root burl? I've seen a few other pics of grain somewhat like that that I think were from the root.

That is one incredible bit of grain pattern. Wow! And a very nice bowl as well. Is it a root burl? I've seen a few other pics of grain somewhat like that that I think were from the root.
Thank you. It's not a root burl, I'm not sure it's even a true burl. It was a grapefruit size protrusion on an old dying oak we had to take down in the yard. Our arborist must have known it was something as he singled out this and a couple more like it from the rest of the rounds.

Thanks for the advice Tom. Your 2c is well received!
Tom, I'm still pretty new to turning. Do you think a few rounds on a buffing wheel would remove those lines? Also, when is friction polish a good finish? Smaller items?

Tom, I'm still pretty new to turning. Do you think a few rounds on a buffing wheel would remove those lines? Also, when is friction polish a good finish? Smaller items?
Re: buffing wheel - probably not ... and if it did remove the streaks it would most likely remove most of the finish as well. You might try a very light touch with very fine abrasive paper ( #600 or higher) to level the streaks. I would follow up with higher grit foam pads (i.e. 3M and/or Abralon). Friction polish is shellac based and the friction/drying is what is causing the streaks. Shellac is a great sealer but not so great as a final durable finish, IMO. Try rubbing the polish on by hand and adding a different and more durable finish on top.

My standard finish for decades was a sealer coat of Zinsser (408 ?) Clear Shellac spray - sprayed onto a pad of folded pantyhose/stocking (great applicator) and wipe on (or under very slow speed on the lathe) - keep it wet. When dry de-nib with #0000 steel wool or fiber pad. Then one or two coats of Waterlox (or any other) and then Beall buff when dry.

Yes, friction polish on smaller items. Hope this helps.
A lot of turners (and some big names) in the Asheville area, and a great woodturning club relatively close by. Are you a member? - if not, I recommend that you join.

Re: buffing wheel - probably not ... and if it did remove the streaks it would most likely remove most of the finish as well. You might try a very light touch with very fine abrasive paper ( #600 or higher) to level the streaks. I would follow up with higher grit foam pads (i.e. 3M and/or Abralon). Friction polish is shellac based and the friction/drying is what is causing the streaks. Shellac is a great sealer but not so great as a final durable finish, IMO. Try rubbing the polish on by hand and adding a different and more durable finish on top.

My standard finish for decades was a sealer coat of Zinsser (408 ?) Clear Shellac spray - sprayed onto a pad of folded pantyhose/stocking (great applicator) and wipe on (or under very slow speed on the lathe) - keep it wet. When dry de-nib with #0000 steel wool or fiber pad. Then one or two coats of Waterlox (or any other) and then Beall buff when dry.

Yes, friction polish on smaller items. Hope this helps.
A lot of turners (and some big names) in the Asheville area, and a great woodturning club relatively close by. Are you a member? - if not, I recommend that you join.
I have a large container of Waterlox, I'll try that next. Thanks again Tom.
I am part of the local club, though with my work schedule I've not been able to participate much. I'm looking into taking my first class soon, Youtube can only help so much.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Peter Van Rijssen
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Filename