• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Winter Days
Bradford Pear, turned, carved, pyroed, and painted. The name reference to the seemingly endless stretch of cold winter days where we long for relief from the cold. Coincidentally, there is a 2003 Japanese anime film with the same name that consists of 35 segments from different animators. Each segment is unique, yet contributes to an overall whole. How appropriate. 7.25"d x 4.25"h.
I documented the making process of this bowl with a follow-along thread in the Projects forum. Here are a couple of alternative views. The Bradford Pear has some beautiful curl and provides a warm contrast to the heavily embellished exterior.

IT1kdtN.jpg

JumGptM.jpeg

Michael:
Great job! I love the contrast between the inside natural colour and the carved/textured/pyro'd/painted exterior! The list itself suggests you pulled out all the stops on this one.....
Can't wait for the next one... can he juggle one more pin?
I agree with Bryan, the photography is very good and really accentuates the piece.
Cheers.
Barry W. Larson
Calgary, Alberta, Canada eh!

awesome looking piece! I have been experimenting with some carving as well - but I'm nowhere near what you have created! I will definitely have to check out your follow along project thread for some inspiration!

Michael, like I mentioned on WoW this piece is simply beautiful! The colors and textures are amazingly realistic and makes it feel cold and winter like yet the raw pear on the inside of the bowl brings warmth and feeling. This needs a 5 star rating for 5 star time and effort!

I really enjoyed watching the process unfold in "real time" Michael. You should be proud of this one. Like most things of beauty, there is more work under the surface than meets the eye.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Michael Anderson
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
5.00 star(s) 2 ratings

Image metadata

Device