• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

1.5 hp oneway 2036 opinions?

I have the opportunity to pick up an older oneway 2036 with a 1.5 hp motor for a steal. I turn lots of big bowls and I want to be able to core on this lathe, will 1.5 hp be enough to core with? I don't have the hunter carbide cutter, but I do plan on picking up a couple and I fell like that must make a huge difference in the torque required.

You can stall nearly any motor on any lathe being aggressive enough. I have a 2hp 2436 so I don't have first hand experience with the 1.5. So the question you need to answer is; are you willing to core a little slower than if you had more hp, because 1.5hp will certainly core blanks. It's your decision to make. If it's a steal, buy it and try it. You don't like it, sell it for a profit. I would have already had the lathe in my shop if the steal is really a steal.

You can stall nearly any motor on any lathe being aggressive enough. I have a 2hp 2436 so I don't have first hand experience with the 1.5. So the question you need to answer is; are you willing to core a little slower than if you had more hp, because 1.5hp will certainly core blanks. It's your decision to make. If it's a steal, buy it and try it. You don't like it, sell it for a profit. I would have already had the lathe in my shop if the steal is really a steal.
cool, that's kinda what I figured. It's such a great deal and comes with so much stuff that I can't really pass it up.

Roger Wiegand

Beta Tester
Website
www.carouselorgan.com
Sounds like a no-lose proposition. On many lathes swapping in a bigger motor is pretty straightforward if you decide 1.5 isn't enough. I wouldn't think the difference between 1.5 and 2 would be particularly noticeable, going to a 3-5 hp motor probably would. (Note it's still pretty easy to stall a 3 hp motor when coring a big log)

A 1 hp motor can core, but it is difficult. Most of the difficulty is if the blade is binding in the cut. With the Oneway, if your pivot point for the blade is dead center in the ways, then almost no problems. If you are off to either side, then you will have to do 1 1/2 to 2 full kerf widths to be able to core all the way down to the center. 1 1/2 hp should be sufficient. I have cored on a 1 1/2 hp Jet lathe that ran on 120 volt and had stalling problems. Coring on the Jet with the 1 1/2 hp motor on 220 volt, pretty much no problems.

robo hippy

Back