• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

1" sanding disks: Hook and Loop? or PSA

I was working on a very narrow radiused hollow form that had some cracks filled with epoxy and metal. I attempted to use some 1" HL sanding disks which separated immediately. My 2" diameter disks with soft backing are too wide to get this job done. So should I go to pressure-sensitive backing or try again with hook and loop? If so, what brand and type works well at this 1" size. I want to stick to 1/4" shaft and stay away from the Dremel like 1/8" size. Any positive feedback on the type and manufacturer that is durable at this small size would be helpful.

Well, most common reasons for the discs failing/coming off is too fast rpms with the drill, and too much pressure which equals more heat and the loop part comes off. PSA discs would react the same way. If you have some 1 inch inside diameter pipe, sharpen to a 30 to 45 degree bevel, and small inside bevel, and punch out the centers of some old discs. I am too frugal to buy them...

robo hippy

Here is picture of what robo uses only 2".
Also here is picture of disk holders that I made. Cut with a 2 " hole saw with pressed in hex drive bits. If you don't have quick connector for hex bits, HF has QC bit extensions. The pad is cut from a kneeling pad purchased at HD. Use Velcro heavy duty at hd also. If you over heat as robo said the glue will loosen.
You could use this same method to make "neater looking " 1" holder.

Bob

Attachments

• 20170811_145406.jpg
    20170811_145406.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0910.JPG
    IMG_0910.JPG
    472.8 KB · Views: 30
Back