• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

3520a

Hi All,

I intended to post this on georgetroy's 3520A message board, but after way too many tries, I gave up. Unlike, most others, I registered with no problem. Now, though, it will not accept my password. I even changed it, & it still won't work!

I've been unhappy with the toolrest that came with the 3520, & would like to replace it.

1) Has anybody else done this?
2)) What did you replace it with?
3) Does anybody have a link for the General website(that makes lathes, etc. in Canada), and the Woodfast website?? I want to see if they have a rest with a 1" toolrest post for the 3520A? Anybody know?
4) Y'all got any replacement recommendations?

Thanks,
W.C.

Last edited:
Hi Jeff,

<<<"Please resolve access to other forums offline (outside this forum).">>> This wasn't my intention. I just mention it as the reason for posting it here. Sorry for the mis-understanding. Let me know, if you want, I can go back & edit, & delete that part?

Thanks,
W.C.

Thanks to all that responded thus far.

It appears that my best bet might be to find a welder & make my own.

W.C.

There are a lot of 1 in tool rests out there ......Check with Packard, Craft Supplies, Oneway, Woodcraft or any of a dozen other catalogues. Making your own is always a possibility.

FYI.....I snapped a 12in General toolrest off once!!!!!!!

I have several different lengths of the ones from Best Wood Tools and love them. I got my from CSUSA but are available from other places or direct. Today at the Symposium I bought one of the curved bars for bowls directly from them, very nice people. Some folks do not like the round tool rests but they have been great for me, really do prefer them.

Tried to get some made locally but the cost was greater than the Best Tools system. Also, when I bought a new lathe all I had to do was buy a new tool post and still could use all 5 of my tool rests.

tool rests

Hey, WC, After 8 years of using the original I brought home from L'ville a Best Tool post and 9in big (small round bar on top of big post did not look cool to me. )bar. Just finished 4 holly bowls this pm. Lovely to use and so wonderfully stable. Tools just slide across like greased lightning. Wish I had done this change years ago. Go get 'em. Phil

Lincoln Hills, CA (At the foot of the Sierra Nevad
Website
jerryhallstudio.com
Best Wood - Sturdy?

I like the concept of the Best Wood rest system, but had concerns raised to me that the 3/4" dia rest and the adjustable connections on the newest model could have a problem with vibration, particulary when working inside a larger bowl well away from the post. Has this been a problem for anyone? It was suggested that I look at the Oneway curved bowl rest. I like the adjustable, modular concept. Would appreciate comments

Jerry Hall

I am having similar concerns with my stock 3520a tool rest as W.C. I have been contemplating which rests to get for sometime. One of the questions I have about the modular ones is - what is the chance of them unscrewing while turning? I would assume most of the time that the forces are in the vertical direction, but it seems to me that it's possible that one might angle the tool to put force in a direction that they might unscrew. Is there a set screw or something to prevent this?

Another concern I have is that the round bar stock type rests would support the tool further away from the work than say like the Woodcraft modular system. Has anyone found this to be an issue? Has anyone tried the Woodcraft system?

Sorry for all the questions, but this has been a conundrum for me as of late. :(

I have been using the Best Tools modular system several years now, and never had one come loose while turning. Never really even thought about it until you posted the question. I can't say that it won't happen, just hasen't eve happened to me.

The question of round vs. flat tool rests has come up before. I think it is a matter or what you get used to. I like the flexibility of the round ones not having a fixed angle to work out personally, but I know others that don't. Theroretically if the tool is resting on the center of the bar vs. the edge of flat one, it is only .325" difference. That small of a gap just isn't an issue to me. At the symposium I had the opportunity to test a larger lathe that was being demo'd in the vendor area. It had the stock flat tool rest and I found it awkward after using the other ones for so long.

I think the only answer as to which is the best to use is that whatever works best for you is the right one, but I love the round ones personally.

Martin,
Regarding the woodcraft modular tool rest system I can tell you that in my experience you should save your money for something better. And.....I believe, a construction grade 2x4 would be better.

I just ordered a set from Best Wood tools at the symposiun and am anxious to try it.

Back