• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

AAW FALL 2008 Contest winners

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
The contest this quarter was ring turning, based on Tim Yoder's article in the Fall Journal.
Rules of the contest can be found here

The judge for this contest (appropriately enough) was Tim Yoder and here are his comments

I am honored for this opportunity to judge this quarter’s challenge. It was fun to see other turners approach to relief turning. There is a lot more to explore with this technique and I hope to see more ideas in the future.

1st place Truffuls’ leaf
Photo1 Photo2

This turning has the entire package. Melissa showed no fear by taking on a complicated design.
The leaf looks very realistic and the carved stem adds the finishing touch.
The wood has interesting grain and spalting which adds to the overall look.
What a great idea using a leaf from the same species as the tree.
While Melissa says that the wood was punky, she did a fantastic job of sanding and finishing the piece.

On your next relief project trim the inner tenon to the same diameter of your outermost leaf tip.
That way you won’t need the box for support to cut the disk on the band saw. Also to minimize sanding, grind a negative rake on your round nosed scraper.
It will cut a little less aggressively but with a light touch you will have little to no sanding left in the coves.

2nd place Bernie Hrytzak’s butterfly
Photo1 Photo2

Elegant is the first word that comes to mind with this butterfly.
Bernie captured the essence of the Lepidoptera (ok… I Googled that)
which is vital since everyone already knows what a butterfly looks like.
The curves are symmetrical and very realistic.

I can see you turning a collection of several butterfly shapes.
For your next butterfly it would be cool to see you use a wood with more chaos in the grain, such as Birdseye burl, to give the wings a neat effect.

3rd place Dreher’s giraffe
Photo1 Photo2

Talk about thinking outside the box! That is what is so fun about turning.
Dreher took the idea of relief turning and came up with a completely different approach.
I am still trying to imagine how Dreher visualized the shape while turning.

I see a lot of potential with this project and I hope to see the final giraffe sometime.

Thanks again for letting me participate in this challenge,

Tim Yoder

Back