• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Ancient Hawaiian Calabashes

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
Yesterday I visited the Honolulu Academy of Arts. My wife's auntie had a vast collection of ancient, most of them pre-contact calabashes. All of them are made out of Kou. She donated her entire collection to the museum. The giant one was made in 1850, and judging by some marks on the inside, was turned on a lathe. Not all of them belonged to her, some belonged to Mrs.Cooke. Folks, these are the real deal...

Attachments

• Patches.JPG
    Patches.JPG
    614.1 KB · Views: 150
  • KEA_3755.JPG
    KEA_3755.JPG
    611.6 KB · Views: 148
  • KEA_3737.JPG
    KEA_3737.JPG
    559.2 KB · Views: 144

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
Emiliano, really nice! Please excuse my ignorance, but I know nothing of the history of calabash making in Hawaii. Are these turned from hardwood or cut from gourds and polished?
All of these were hand carved with stone tools except the giant one. Pre-contact means before Capatain Cook discovered Hawaii. Kou was the preferred wood of the native Hawaiians, considered a hardwood, yet very soft compared to Koa. I will be talking a little about the history of the Hawaiian calabash in Raleigh at the Aaw symposium.

And I thought Calabash was a seafood port in North Carolina. Thanks for the history lesson. Mrs. Cooke was the Captain's wife?

Anyone wanting to know more about Hawaiian bowls should refer to the excellent article in the Oct. 2017 issue of American Woodturner.

Website
www.youtube.com
Anyone wanting to know more about Hawaiian bowls should refer to the excellent article in the Oct. 2017 issue of American Woodturner.
Thanks for the reference. I just downloaded the Oct. 2017 issue; the article on the umeke la'au is quite interesting! As a new turner here I just haven't started looking through the earlier issues, the hint was helpful!

Roger Wiegand

Beta Tester
Website
www.carouselorgan.com
Those are stunningly nice! I'll think about doing it with stone tools next time I'm feeling sorry about how long it takes me to hollow a vessel!

On a side note, I'm sure all the people living in Hawai'i for the previous 6-1200 years would have been amused by the notion that the islands needed to be "discovered" by Capt. Cook.

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
Emiliano, any way to download a PDFcopy of your article (I'm not a subscriber to the UK magazine)?
You can buy individual single copies if you do it thru the app on your tablet or iPhone , or go to the www.thegmcgroup.com on your computer. Subscription is a little cheaper per issue...

Met a fellow from England; he said they spoke propah English. An Australian said the Aussies and Americans were two separate cultures separated by a common language. Cheers! And g'day, mate.
Edit- need to read the article.

Met a fellow from England; he said they spoke propah English. An Australian said the Aussies and Americans were two separate cultures separated by a common language. Cheers! And g'day, mate.
We had an engineer from England come around on occasion to the place I worked. This chap had a very very heavy English accent. He was a very personable funny guy and it was my job to work with him and I enjoyed his company. He told me that he would only allow his company to send him to English speaking countries although once in a while he got stuck going to the Bronx. The thought of him with his heavy accent communicating with people from the Bronx struck me funny

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
I hope you like it!! Aloha from Maui

Back