• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Anyone using CBN on Delta 8" VS grinder?

I have the 3/4 hp Delta VS 8" grinder like you get at Lowes.

Anyone using this with CBN wheels? I don't mind it taking a little time to get up to speed but I've read that it's not too hard to blow the internal fuse on them.

Lowest speed on it is about 2000rpm which should be just fine.

I'm assuming my best bet here will be the aluminum wheels from woodturnerswonders because they are lighter.

Website
www.prairiewoodart.com
That's what I use. The tool doesn't know the difference between 1740 and 2000 RPM. I have a 180 grit CBN (aluminum) wheel and the 60 grit wheel it came with. No issues with start up. I need (OK, want) to replace the 60 grit wheel with a CBN but haven't justified the cost yet. I am not aware of any fuse contained within the grinder.

I have that grinder with two CBN wheels, including one pretty heavy one. I regularly blew the fuse in cold weather as it labored to get up to speed. First I got around it by chucking a socket in my drill and giving the grinder a spin before turning it on. It worked fine, but was a p.i.t.a. So was replacing the fuse which required taking the grinder off its mount and opening the bottom. I finally consulted with an electronics/sharpening expert at Totally Turning symposium in Saratoga Springs a few years ago (wish I could remember his name), and he reassured me I could install a higher amperage slo-blow fuse. I did and have had no problems since.

One of my grinders with 2 CBN wheels is that Delta and I have had no trouble with blown fuses.
I’m curious Bill, are they heavy wheels (like my left one) or more lightweight? Additionally, this only caused me a problem when I used the grinder with the shop unheated in very cold weather.

I’m curious Bill, are they heavy wheels (like my left one) or more lightweight? Additionally, this only caused me a problem when I used the grinder with the shop unheated in very cold weather.
Lou to tell you the truth I do not know. I bought the grinder with the 180 and 350 CBN wheels off of a person in my city here, it was a fantastic price and the person left it on his porch and I put the money in an envelope and left it in his mailbox. So I never got to meet him or ask any questions. When I go down to the shop I'll take a look and see if I can tell what they are but I won't remove them as I won't mess with anything that is running that good. Also I heat my shop so nothing really runs in cold temps. This grinder revs up just as fast as any of the others in my shop. When I gave my daughter a lathe I also gave her the little Rikon with a CBN and a white wheel, that one took a few seconds to turn up but took around 12 minutes to come to a stop.

Looked at them yesterday and they are both from Woodturners Wonders and tapping them makes a ringing sound versus a dull sound on my steel ones so I'm pretty sure they are both aluminum.

Looked at them yesterday and they are both from Woodturners Wonders and tapping them makes a ringing sound versus a dull sound on my steel ones so I'm pretty sure they are both aluminum.
Thanks for checking. I’m sure you are right about aluminum. An easy way to be sure (we’ll at least to rule out steel) would be to try to stick a magnet to them.

Back