• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Ashley Harwood bowl gouges

Status
Not open for further replies.
Same here. I guess she is busy trying to get the $$$
I usually stop following turners that spend a bunch of time pushing products.
I understand what you mean John. But I also understand that in order to make a living …. Products pay the bills for most professional turners. One would find it a real eye opener to know that most professional turners never get rich from their skills on the lathe. Just economics that affect the craft and making a living.

I understand what you mean John. But I also understand that in order to make a living …. Products pay the bills for most professional turners. One would find it a real eye opener to know that most professional turners never get rich from their skills on the lathe. Just economics that affect the craft and making a living.
Absolutely. She is doing what many of us wouldn't have the gumption to even try. I wish her the best.

Been a while since I have followed anything she does. I believe she has an art degree. I did see her turn one of her sea urchin ornaments. She did use her finger to stabilize the tip, but most of the rest of it was done with just the lightest bevel rub. After seeing her demo, I told her that I would have to go home and work on my 'dainty' skills. Master of 'the bevel should rub the wood, but the wood should not know it'.

robo hippy

No argument Odie...But I would add that for ALL of us...someone planted a seed. A kernel. Something we saw them do, or something that they taught us "sprouted" within us and grew into our own vision of what this thing called "woodturning" is to each of us.
For me - I want as many perspectives as possible. I have sat in on many "professional" demos that the ego was so thick, you had to mentally cut it away in order to just focus of what was being done and how. And - I am fine with that. I can - and do - admire many of the internationally known turners for their abilities and workmanship.... even tho I may not actually like them as a person. Originality of thought...? Really? I find that the most difficult part of turning something. As soon as I produce something that surely no one has seen before...Pintrest delivers to my inbox, pages of turned objects that look like someone stole my ideas!:D.
So - I am always interested in the observations and input of others - not that I will follow everyone's philosophy and adopt it as my own. But...I do strive to learn at least one thing from everyone I watch or has exchange of ideas with. Including you....;)

Last edited:

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
No argument Odie...But I would add that for ALL of us...someone planted a seed. A kernel. Something we saw them do, or something that they taught us "sprouted" within us and grew into our own vision of what this thing called "woodturning" is to each of us.
For me - I want as many perspectives as possible. I have sat in on many "professional" demos that the ego was so thick, you had to mentality cut it away in order to just focus of what was being done and how. And - I am fine with that. I can - and do - admire many of the internationally known turners for their abilities and workmanship.... even tho I may not actually like them as a person. Originality of thought...? Really? I find that the most difficult part of turning something. As soon as I produce something that surely no one has seen before...Pintrest delivers to my inbox, pages of turned objects that look like someone stole my ideas!:D.
So - I am always interested in the observations and input of others - not that I will follow everyone's philosophy and adopt it as my own. But...I do strive to learn at least one thing from everyone I watch or has exchange of ideas with. Including you....;)

A great post, Tim.....thanks for taking the time to formulate your thoughts. :)

I don't suspect anyone will adopt my turning philosophy, because to do so would mean shedding some very ingrained turning principles that most other turners feel are chiseled in stone! I will continue to speak my mind about what I believe, and let the chips fall where they may! :)

Yes, as I said, most of my most meaningful advancements in turning were the result of my own "time in the saddle" and contemplating what I observe...... However, in the very beginning, I was influenced by Richard Raffan's first book in the late 1980's, and then a short time later, his first vhs video. That book looks pretty worn out, and I probably watched the video a hundred times!

I'll agree that Raffan did plant some seeds, that grew from there. ;)

-----odie-----

Last edited:
A great post, Tim.....thanks for taking the time to formulate your thoughts. :)

I don't suspect anyone will adopt my turning philosophy, because to do so would mean shedding some very ingrained turning principles that most other turners feel are chiseled in stone! I will continue to speak my mind about what I believe, and let the chips fall where they may! :)

Yes, as I said, most of my most meaningful advancements in turning was the result of my own "time in the saddle"...... However, in the very beginning, I was influenced by Richard Raffan's first book in the late 1980's, and then a short time later, his first vhs video. That book looks pretty worn out, and I probably watched the video over a hundred times!

I'll agree that Raffan did plant some seeds, that grew from there. ;)

-----odie-----
Thanks Odie. I understand and appreciate your position completely. Maybe I will reach a point of experience at which I am less excited to see something or someone new and how they turn. But, as of now...I am really enjoying seeing all of the different methods that people use - and most produce really nice finished product - even if it is not my style/taste - I appreciate the craftsmanship.m I agree about Raffan's books. I have several and find them foundational, sound principles for anyone wanting to learn good woodturning skills.

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
This thread is closed. It has strayed so far from a simple question about Ashley's tools. The number one rule here is to be nice. Personal attacks on any member of the community whether they come here or not, are not accepted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back