• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Carter Hollowing System Question

I"m considering buying a used Carter Hollowing System and I was wondering if anyone has one and what they think of it. Any feedback would be welcome.
Paul

Carter has 2 hollowing systems and I have the smaller version with all the different size bars, cutters, laser....the whole 9 yards. Works fine for me and the type of hollowing I do with wide mouth vases. I can get a good 12" deep with the 1" bar before it get too much chatter. Just made a front tool rest that allows me to get the bar supported inside the vase but haven't been able to try it out yet. Get a Hunter cutter and you can hog like a wild man. Some people don't like it for side to side movements but you can loosen up the capture roller if that becomes an issue. Been a good performer for me.

RichColvin

Super Moderator
Staff member
OTI Member
Website
www.colvintools.com
I bought the larger version as I want to get into bigger vessels. I've used it some and it is very stable and solid ! Also has a very long reach.

But, the bar is heavy. Another turner said it was about 70 lbs. Definitely something to consider.

I recommend the Hunter style cutter over the scraper.
Works well.

Rich

Back