• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Crack filling

I have some large ash bowls that are in need of filling some cracks. What’s your “go to” preference for crack filler?? I’m going to use a walnut oil for finish.

20190916_135012.jpg I haven't had to fill any bowl cracks but I did make some knife scales a little while back. After sanding to shape, I noticed one of my scales had a crack getting bigger and bigger and I worried about it holding up. So I filled it with thin CA (super glue). I let it soak in and probably repeated the process about 3 times and it finally filled. Sanded down and looked god on this. Just my 2c contribution whether it helps or not.

Last edited:
I like crushed stone and the best one is turquoise. The stone is held by dripping thin CA on it. To keep the CA from affecting the finish us a light spray coating of shellac on the wood adjacent to the crack. The turned piece should be propped up with the area to be filled as horizontal as possible.
Look up Stephen Hatcher. The 2011 symposium handout book has 8 pages for Stephen that are a must read and includes a chart listing the characteristics of 8 minerals.
9077Bowl.JPG

Well it seems that my picture got deleted from "My Media"! Haven't seen where a person can upload a picture straight from the computer. The only options I see are from a URL and from My Media. And then this is the message associated with the deletion. I'm responding to a thread and this deletion is thinking I am asking a question.

"Your media Knife Scale in the album Bsshogs album was deleted. Reason: Gallery is restricted for pictures of completed turnings. If you have a question about CA finish, you could ask it in the regular forum."

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
If you want to upload a picture to include in a post do not put it in the gallery because it will be deleted. The gallery is only for displaying completed woodturnings. You can upload an image from your computer by clicking the button labeled "UPLOAD A FILE" which is next to "POST REPLY".

Website
www.vanduynwoodwork.com
When I need to fill voids and cracks I shear scrape the finest shavings that you can get, they are almost powdery. I pack those into the void/crack and make a composite of that and CA thin. Get a good density of them otherwise you end up with a CA fill. Use your finish on the adjacent areas before putting the glue on as that will help prevent glue marks on the rest of your piece. I often don't do this for bowls though, and really large cracks in bowls may end up cause failure down the road. Anyways its been a pretty reliable method for filling.

I have used sawdust instead of the shavings too to fill the smallest of cracks but often the fill sags and doesn't look as good if the base material is something more solid.

Good Luck

If you want to upload a picture to include in a post do not put it in the gallery because it will be deleted. The gallery is only for displaying completed woodturnings. You can upload an image from your computer by clicking the button labeled "UPLOAD A FILE" which is next to "POST REPLY".

My bad Bill. I hadn't uploaded a pic in a while and you would think that I would see that large upload button by the reply button. Lol Sorry!

I prefer Inlace for larger areas over 1/4 inch . Have been using GFlex which is a slow set epoxy with good results. For the hairline I use thin CA like Bobby. I have tried the shavings and not liked the look but sawdust works well with CA. Remember if you are coloring the item compatibility may be a problem as well make the crack show worse. This can also be true with some finishes.

Back