• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Deciding on Right Lathe

I'm new to turning on lathes. Looking for something that can be used in chair making. Turning mostly rounds but need to be able to turn them fairly consistent. Like chair rungs, posts, etc. Is there a lathe type or design that works best for this??

Have you considered Jet 1642

I own the 2 HP model ( 1800 dollars) and its benifits is that it has a long bed for spindle work. Strong motor for bowls and box work too. Whats your price range? are you going to do other things with it? if so be sure to consider two things
1. swing: if spindle work is all you will ever concentrate on then even 12" swing should be fine. Mine is 16" swing and thought that covers most bowls / boxes that I will ever do- the additional 4" swing found in larger beasts such as the Powermatic 2320a is a handy addition (20 " swing- but smaller bed size) you never know when your wife will desperatly need that new salad bowl to feed 20 people from...

2. Moveable head stock: very important when wanting to turn objects that are larger than your alloted swing over bango . clear as greek?

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Gene
If all you want to do is chair parts I would look at the Jet mini lathe with bed extension. That will handle everything but the sides of a tall ladderback. If you want to turn those you'll have to look for something with a distance between centers that is longer than these chairs are tall. The ones I repaired for my parents were 46" tall.

Gene,

You should also consider the Nova DVR 3000. It comes with 24" between centres (which should be enough for chairs), has a swivelling head stock (which can take up to 29" of swing with the outrigger) and a varialble speed drive. Bed extensions can be added to accommodate longer spindles. All in all, a great lathe.

DGD

Back