• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Display Stand

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
I sold a nice Maui Koa platter, about 12 inches wide. The couple asked me to make them a ,mostly, turned display stand... I remember seeing an article on the AAW magazine about it, but I can't find it now. I have searched every possible key word with no success... I have some ideas... But why reinvent the wheel?
A picture of it would be most helpful, or a link to the article... I'm talking about that little stand they sell to plates or platter collectors, so you can display your plate...
Thank you in advance!! Aloha from sunny Maui :)

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
Platter Stand

On another forum I was shown a great platter stand. Check it out.

I sold a nice Maui Koa platter, about 12 inches wide. The couple asked me to make them a ,mostly, turned display stand... I remember seeing an article on the AAW magazine about it, but I can't find it now. I have searched every possible key word with no success... I have some ideas... But why reinvent the wheel?
A picture of it would be most helpful, or a link to the article... I'm talking about that little stand they sell to plates or platter collectors, so you can display your plate...
Thank you in advance!! Aloha from sunny Maui :)

Attachments

• IMG_2386.jpg
    IMG_2386.jpg
    206.9 KB · Views: 60

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
That ought to work, Emiliano........:cool:

I made this adjustable stand a few years back, before I bought a commercial light box. It worked reasonably well, but now all my photos are taken without a stand, and by simply adjusting the tripod height to do these shots. Of course, mine isn't intended for display......simply for camera work.....

Do you see an old Sorby gouge handle in there.....? I've got a bunch of old lathe tools that are too short to use......might as well make use of them! :D

ko

Attachments

• IMG_0524.JPG
    IMG_0524.JPG
    190.2 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_0526.JPG
    IMG_0526.JPG
    300.8 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_0527.JPG
    IMG_0527.JPG
    279.1 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_0528.JPG
    IMG_0528.JPG
    266.4 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
I want to make some platter and bowl display stands out of wood so that I can make them from the same material as the bowls, I think that would be neat since I do some sentimental pieces for people from family trees and what not. I have a scroll saw, not hooked up but I still have one lol, and a bandsaw so I can cut them on there if I need to but anybody have any good ideas for this?

Chris

Back