• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Does anybody recognize this wood?

Lyle and I found this in a tree service dump yard and decided to take some home...
We've discussed Honey Locust, Black Locust, & Osage orange.....I'm leaning toward Honey Locust?
Turned a couple Xmas ornaments out of it today....definitely a harder wood.

Attachments

• image1 (3).jpeg
    image1 (3).jpeg
    747.6 KB · Views: 60
  • image0 (7).jpeg
    image0 (7).jpeg
    870.5 KB · Views: 60
Yes I agree with Kevin, Black Locust would be my thought, only some Acacia could look like that as well.

It can be pretty hard wood and will last for a long time, even as a fencepost. as the saying goes, it will outlast two two fencepost holes :)

Last edited:
I think Black Locust wood.
Not Osage Orange wood.....no way. No yellow. I just picked up some Osage a month ago....about the color of Leo's smiley face at the end of his reply.
Black Locust is hard as a rock. Great mallets. Nice bowls once turned so you do not have to turn after it dries. Will go a nice brown color with UV light.

I agree, Hugh. The left one is black locust in this photo, and the two on the right are osage orange. Dogwood makes a great mallet, too.

mallets.png

Back