• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Dust Collector

I have a big gulp dust collector on a free standing stand behind my lathe. I'd love to get the dust collection up off the floor so sweeping and moving the banjo is easier. I'm curious how you handle dust collection.

Dave, when I started turning I too had a big gulp hood, with it being mounted to a stand that stood on the floor it was difficult to sweep and clean up. It was also difficult to move the stand to reposition the hood at times. I have since gone to the Black Hole and couldn't be any happier. The rail mounts to the back of the lathe (or stand) with clamps or by through bolting. I love the unlimited adjustments and the best part of all, nothing is on the floor and in my way. I have the 4" hose run over to the wall to my dc gate. The run is short enough that there is enough slack to move the hood down the rail but not so much where it sits on the floor.

Dave, when I started turning I too had a big gulp hood, with it being mounted to a stand that stood on the floor it was difficult to sweep and clean up. It was also difficult to move the stand to reposition the hood at times. I have since gone to the Black Hole and couldn't be any happier. The rail mounts to the back of the lathe (or stand) with clamps or by through bolting. I love the unlimited adjustments and the best part of all, nothing is on the floor and in my way. I have the 4" hose run over to the wall to my dc gate. The run is short enough that there is enough slack to move the hood down the rail but not so much where it sits on the floor.

Exactly the same as my experience, except I built something similar to the Black Hole out of bits and pieces from my scrap bin. I got the dust hood from ebay. So much better than the big gulp I was using before.

DSCF0753.JPG

DSCF0754.JPG

DSCF0755.JPG

Yes! I also mounted a piece of 80/20 where you have, and found it has been the one of the most versatile modifications for adding any base the needs to be shifted around. I used a 4 x 4 version that doubled the slots available, mounted a DC base, tool rack for holding the live centers, and lighting.

Would love to have a dust collector but don't have the room for one. If you need a dust collector, I can send a whole box full of them. Wife calls them knick-knacks. They collect lots of dust.

Larry, can you describe how you hold the system to your lathe?
Rick, can you explain what 80/20 is and what a DC is? sorry I don't know the lingo.

DC is generally an abbreviation for dust collector.

I used a leftover articulated arm computer monitor mount which I then fixed to an unused saw horse.
I recall somone else posting on the forum built an over head articulated arm out of wood that seemed very effective as well.

80/20 refers to an aluminum extrusion that is 80mm wide by 20mm thick. Also the company name that produces them. They are the building blocks for many Linear motion systems such as 3D printers, CNC overarm routers and laser cutters. The adjustable rail for the dust collection is a nice application of one. I have made many wood shop and Woodturning accessories with them such as a laser overhead storyboard and a sharpening jig for my belt sander. I buy my aluminum extrusions and connecting hardware inexpensively from openbuilds.com parts store. Warning: you can get lost for a few hours on their project forums.

I currently use a jointed arm display holder mounted upside down to the ceiling drop I have my tools on. Past ones were:
1. A post with articulated wooden arm.
2. The same post mounted to wall with sliding uptake
3. Articulated arm mounted to ceiling .
4. Cantalevered jointed attachment to drawer unit under lathe.lathe DC wall.jpg lathe dust aparatus.JPG lathe jet setup.JPG
This is always a work in progress because when the shop is rearranged the current method just does not seem to fit.

Back