• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Lathe advice

Does anyone have an opinion on the 3520B series Powermatic, I found one on Ebay located in Lynwood California?
What would be a fair price for this High School Shop used piece of equipment?

I have one. I like it rather well. Now if I'd had the $$ and the rigging team for a Serious I'd have gone that way.

I always low ball my initial offering when negotiating. I figure it can't hurt and I can always go up. I've known some people who get all worked up if they think I'm low balling 'em. I figure if they can't take a joke then, I don't care.

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
Robo, I looked at and have turned on a Vicmarc--very solid for sure, but honestly you are paying a lot for the name IMO--I absolutely could not justify the cost of one--same applies to Robust--they are super, and have a superior warranty, but honestly I don't think that a warranty is really a factor when you start really looking hard at lathes north of 4 K --IMO, you have to believe in certain things, like HP ratings and quality of materials, but other than stability and precision, I really don't know what else makes one lathe superior to another--of course certain functionality, like how the banjo works, and what size the through holes are in the tailstock/headstock, stop switches, indexing, bed adjustability, etc. may be of a specific preference--for example I really like the banjo and how the tool rest clamps on the Laguna--and I dislike the lack of a for real handwheel on the headstock, but that is something I decided I could live with--I also like the way the headstock spindle locks up on my Nova--but it doesn't please me on the Laguna, or the PM, and frankly I don't remember how it worked on the Vicmarcs or Robust's I've turned on--so I figure I'll just live with it, and remember I saved the 7-800 bucks when I am funking with the spindle lock on the Laguna--maybe I can even rig up a fixture that will keep it locked hands free some how----I am hoping this will be my best/last lathe I purchase--but I never say never....I shall see pretty soon!
You nailed it, it comes down to functionality. That's why in my opinion you can't beat an Omega Lathes Stubby's. I have been turning for over a decade in a 750 and I just ordered a Stubby 1000 direct from the factory in Australia.

Also, if I want, I can mount the extension in line with the bed and have 65+ inches between centers for longer spindle turnings like bed posts, or 2 piece porch posts.

Sorry...realize this thread is a little old but I have been looking all over the web the past few days to see if the Grizzly extension could be added in-line with the bed. I am not new to woodworking but new to lathe work and one of the things I want to do (on occasion) is turn walking sticks and this lathe/extension would satisfy that need for most anyone not employed by the NBA.

on long slim turnings like a walking stick, just make sure you use a spindle steady so as not to create a whipping action because of tool pressure against the long spindle. Depending on how thick the walking stick is, you might get by with hand pressure on the back side to stabilize the spindle turning.

Hi Roger. Sorry that I didn't see your response from many months ago! I had a couple of untimely hospital visits and then the holidays rolled around and I fell behind on checking some of my forums. At any rate, thank you for your response! Happy New Year!

I'm trying to decide which lathe to buy also. I am bombarded with "reviews" that are an unboxing and they owner has turned one bowl. The manufacturers always say on their sales videos..."made for wood turners; by wood turners. I think it should be more truthful "made by big company, too make big profit, using cheapest materials available". 50/50 chance on getting a lathe that has something wrong with it. I guess that's what we get when everything is mass produced?

Timothy Allen

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
John, not all lathes are mass produced, and there is at least one manufacturer where the owner of the company does the demo videos, actually turning wood on the lathes his company builds. Just sayin...

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
I'm trying to decide which lathe to buy also. I am bombarded with "reviews" that are an unboxing and they owner has turned one bowl. The manufacturers always say on their sales videos..."made for wood turners; by wood turners. I think it should be more truthful "made by big company, too make big profit, using cheapest materials available". 50/50 chance on getting a lathe that has something wrong with it. I guess that's what we get when everything is mass produced?

ONEWAY and Robust are mostly built to orders received as they have many options.

Stubby May be Built to order too.

jet and Powermatic are mass produced. They very seldom have problems.

the 1840 jet is terrific machine
The Oneway 2416 with the 17” outboard is and ideal bowl lathe.
You won’t find unhappy owners of Robust or ONEWAY lathes.

Most Jet and Powermatic owners are happy with their machines.

Last edited:
Sometimes mass produced is the only way we can afford something. I know the 5000 for a oneway was out of my budget but 1700 for a nova saturn was the right price. Would I like to have a oneway? Definitely. Would my wife like me to? Not right now.

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
ONEWAY and Robust are mostly built to orders received as they have many options.

Stubby May be Built to order too.

jet and Powermatic are mass produced. They very seldom have problems.

the 1840 jet is terrific machine
The Oneway 2416 with the 17” outboard is and ideal bowl lathe.
You won’t find unhappy owners of Robust or ONEWAY lathes.

Most Jet and Powermatic owners are happy with their machines.
I can only speak for the Omega Stubby Lathes. They are built to order. Currently, there is a one year wait.

I'm in that boat where I have to sell my old lathe AFTER I ordered the new one I can't pay for!

This is actual experience from a guy who has actually turned on both the Serious SL-2542 and the Robust American Beauty....plus many others, like the Powermatic 3520b's. As far as performance, power, and machining the Grizzly G0800 will keep up with them all day long. Smooth, solid, powerful, and yes made in China, but the same company that makes Powermatics & Harvey lathes makes the G0800. Some may not believe the performance is on that level, but it really is..........no bull! Performance and quality are my two biggest issues in evaluating a piece of woodworking equipment.........it really is there on a high end level with the G0800.

I really like both the Robust AB, and the Serious SL-2542.......wonderful lathes! The G0800 is also a wonderful lathe, in this turners experience, and a fine value in a truly premium turning machine.

I'm waiting on delivery of a Harvey T60-S. How I'm gonna get that thing down my steep little driveway is a mystery!

Timothy Allen

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
I am anticipating delivery of a new lathe late in March, too, and face a similar conundrum -- how to get it up my steep, long driveway. I am thinking it might be easiest all around for me to go pick up the crate at the freight terminal (20 miles away) than to try transferring from the carrier's truck to my truck in the street at the bottom of my driveway....

I am anticipating delivery of a new lathe late in March, too, and face a similar conundrum -- how to get it up my steep, long driveway. I am thinking it might be easiest all around for me to go pick up the crate at the freight terminal (20 miles away) than to try transferring from the carrier's truck to my truck in the street at the bottom of my driveway....
Very smart idea....that is what I did with my last two big lathes. I had UPS Freight load them onto my trailer with a forklift, and backed right up to the shop doors, uncrated it, and took it inside the shop piece by piece and assembled inside as I went.

Very smart idea....that is what I did with my last two big lathes. I had UPS Freight load them onto my trailer with a forklift, and backed right up to the shop doors, uncrated it, and took it inside the shop piece by piece and assembled inside as I went.

I did something similar with my PM3520B. However we took it apart in the freight truck and loaded it on my truck and then up the drive. Worked very well.

If you pick the crate/machine up at the freight depot you can examine the shipping container prior to receipt and count how many forklift fork holes are in the sides of the crate.
You can then decide to accept or refuse the shipment and let the freight company deal with the problem.

@Gerald Lawrence , how did you persuade the freight driver to wait while the lathe was disassembled?

He was very accommodating to say maybe more relaxed in the south and he did not have a truck full. Did not take long as PM is shipped in parts and not assembled.

I'm waiting on delivery of a Harvey T60-S. How I'm gonna get that thing down my steep little driveway is a mystery!
Truck met me at the end of my driveway, we slid it onto the back of my truck from his liftgate. I parked my truck in the garage until I could get to it. I took the crate apart and removed my lathe one piece at a time. But I was able to slide parts from truck bed into my tractor/loader and move it to where I wanted each piece. That's also how I put it together, lift one piece at a time until finished. Took me awhile by my self but got it done. If you don't have a loader, find a strong bud to help lift/assemble as those parts where HEAVY! Good luck and congrats!

The only real excitement was delivery. They were to give me a days notice... driver called 30 minutes out and said I'm almost there, are you ready? I chuckled, jumped through hoops and got ready. :)

I'm a bit disabled so I'll probably do it like that; transfer to the pickup bed, then take out one piece at a time.

I'm a bit disabled so I'll probably do it like that; transfer to the pickup bed, then take out one piece at a time.
Each little piece is heavy, if you have no easy way to lift out of the bed, get some help. Without my little garden tractor with a loader, I could not have done it. I'm a little disabled myself, I no longer can lift much more than 20lbs without feeling it in my back. Back in the day (and I hate that saying..) I could lift heavy items very easy... long time ago. Getting hurt is not worth it, a couple beers (after) for some help is priceless! IMHO

Dave Landers

Beta Tester
Website
dlwoodturning.com
When I got my P3520B (used), my son helped me disassemble and load it on my pickup, but I unloaded it myself. I am able to back my truck into the shop part way. Slid the bed off the truck about half-way, and attached one set of legs. Those were on a temporary dolly (wheels). Slid the lathe bed off the rest of the way onto a sort of sawhorse I threw together, then attached the other legs, and dropped the sawhorse. After rolling it onto position, I fashioned levers from 4x4s and 2x4s, and used a jack to lift it off the dolly and back down to the floor. The hardest part was probably man-handling the headstock off the truck and onto the lathe bed.

I don't think I'd attempt this with anything larger/heavier than the Powermatic.

Back