• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Maker's insert labels

At least a decade ago I got some CNC-made labels from someone making them to order. I like them and use them often on some bowls but my supply has run out. The information from the maker seems to no longer be valid. My question to this learned group of shoppers is if you know of anyone in the business of making these. A sample below.

It seemed like a good idea but it may be too big of a PIA to be worth the effort.

1           labels - 1.jpg

The 1" disks simply twist out.

Thanks for the Ron Brown lead. That looks about perfect.
The suggestion of the Xtool makes me thing that I have several friends with laser engravers. I'll consider making my own disks and having them engraved.
Lots of do-able options from just two responses.
Brian and Gabriel, thanks a bunch.

Those were laser cut and engraved. Usually when you just say CNC, the assumption is a CNC router. Any trophy shop can either do it or has a supplier. You can probably find someone on Etsy that does that too. An Xtool costs about $1,000. That makes a sheet of those quite expensive. There are much cheaper options than Xtool. I bought a Sculpfun on Amazon for less than half that.

Last edited:
Website
www.reallyruralwoodworks.com
An Xtool costs about $1,000. That makes a sheet of those quite expensive.
Actually, I have a D1 XTool in my amazon shopping cart at $399 just waiting til I have money to play with (After I get my new Lathe which may be getting close ~6 Mos or so..) Besides which, a decent engraver can become highly useful for more than just one thing (and pay for itself at craft shows) which is the only reason I am even considering one - with a bit of luck I'll be able to recoup the cost (and maybe even buy an upgrade) at our local craft shows ... as there's no one doing that so far...

Actually, I have a D1 XTool in my amazon shopping cart at $399 just waiting til I have money to play with (After I get my new Lathe which may be getting close ~6 Mos or so..) Besides which, a decent engraver can become highly useful for more than just one thing (and pay for itself at craft shows) which is the only reason I am even considering one - with a bit of luck I'll be able to recoup the cost (and maybe even buy an upgrade) at our local craft shows ... as there's no one doing that so far...
Sorry, maybe I went to the wrong Xtool website to get a price.

Website
www.timsworkshop.com
I think the difference is ENGRAVER vs. CUTTER. A cutter can do engraving, but an engraver generally cannot cut. Cutting generally uses higher power. The D1 is a 5W to 10W laser engraver, and can likely cut very thin materials like cardboard. Wood would likely be a stretch. The S1 appears to have 20W and 40W options. 20W is ~US$1700, the 40W is ~US$2200. Both will cut, the 40W will likely cut faster and better. Both will also engrave, generally lower laser power is used for engraving. The page says the S1 uses a 1064nm laser, which puts the beam solidly into the infrared (and also invisible to the human eye). I do not see a wavelength for the D1, but lasers in this class are generally in the Ultra-Violet range at about 450nm. The safety glasses shown as part of the D1 'kit' are for 400-500nm wavelengths, so that fits with it being UV instead of IR. I know my 7W NeJe is a 450nm laser. I could cut wood like basswood if I wanted, but I have no use for wood so light and thin.

Back