• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Odie's Oil?

Anyone have any experience with Odie's Oil (or Odie's Wood Butter)? My little can of Osmo Polyx-Oil is done and I'm considering trying something new.

Have used both of them for a tabletop ,I know flat work.
Made a Cherry top for a customer, finished it with Osmo oil, a month later the client requested a foot wider top, and by, I guess oversight, it was finished with Odies oil.
I can see the difference in the finish, Osmo oil filled the little grain there is in Cherry, while Odie does not. Went over the table with Odies, but there is still a slight difference in shine.
The client never noticed and doesn't mind. Colour is the same, in my opinion Odies oil looks more natural.

I like the universal finish they put out, doesn't yellow or darken the wood as much as walnut oil.

I only used Odie’s oil once on a walnut crotch hollow form which was posted here in January.

This is a photo I took today, 8 months later. I think it darkened it over the last 8 months and I lost detail. I am really not happy with the results.

Iimage.jpg

Last edited:
I only used Odie’s oil once on a walnut crotch hollow form which was posted here in January.

This is a photo I took today, 8 months later. I think it darkened it over the last 8 months and I lost detail. I am really not happy with the results.

IView attachment 46051
Which odies oil did you use? Was it the universal?

I've used Odie's Oil on quite a few pieces and am generally happy with it. If I want more sheen, I'll sand to 800 or 1000 grit. I haven''t tried their Butter or the Hard Wax yet. Sometimes I'll put a coat of Rennisance Wax on and then buff it. It's really a fool proof finish

Back