• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Oil finish over liming wax?

This is my first experience with liming wax. I wanted to highlight the patterns in the earlywood in this Oak, and I succeeded in that. However, I also wanted (more than showing off growth rings) was to darken the overall, and increase the contrast to show-off the feathering and to ‘pop’ the medullary rays. Usually, I would use an oil or oil mix (oil/varnish/thinner). I’m really liking the way a simple oil finish works with Oak.

So, my question; will it work? Will it muddy things? The instructions on the can (liberon) say it can be topped with their finishing oil, but not sure what effect that has. Anyone with experience?

Also, supposing the oil did exactly what I want. Would that be good, or too busy?
4CF039D1-884D-416F-90FA-47CD10E45B02.jpeg

Back