• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Oneway easycore cutter height

I’m having trouble with nasty catches with my oneway coring system, especially when trying to core live edge bowls or more gnarly wood. I’ve wondered if it has to do with cutter height. At the moment the top flat edge of my cutter is at centre height. The pointy tip at the front of the cutter is, therefore, a little below centre. Should I be positonng the pointed tip at the front of the cutter on centre height so that the flat top of the cutter is slightly above? Thanks in advance. I’ve searched and searched but haven’t yet been able to find a clear answer.
Matthew

Randy Anderson

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Website
www.etsy.com
Matthew, there a few threads here about setup and using the system that might help. Not sure where your catch issues are happening in the process. At the start or near the end, with the cutter or the support finger, etc. My experience is that coring live edge bowls with the system has some inherent risks that can create some serious catch potential. When the cutter and support finger enter the open air gap between the high wings of the bowl they can get out of alignment. The support finger can actually move and catch on a wing as it comes around. I haven't cored in a while but what helped for me was to go deeper with just the cutter until the finger had more side to side wood support. Hard to describe but I did see better results if I paid attention to not letting the support finger tip be exposed too far out into the gap until I got a groove for the tip of it deeper into the bowl.

Well, if you are having problems with catches on natural edge bowls, and not on standard bowls, I would guess that you are feeding the cutter into the wood too fast. I use the McNaughton, but same applies. When starting the cut, very gently ease the cutter into the wood. This is the same as you would do when using a gouge to turn out the inside of a NE bowl. I would say ideal height is at or slightly above center, so maybe having the spear point at center height may work better.

robo hippy

That’s really helpful, thank you. I’m super careful feeding the cutter into live edge bowls and actually the catches have happened when I’m deeper into the wood but and have moved the support finger at least once. I will try putting the spear point on centre which will place the flat top edge of the cutter slightly above

Matthew, there a few threads here about setup and using the system that might help. Not sure where your catch issues are happening in the process. At the start or near the end, with the cutter or the support finger, etc. My experience is that coring live edge bowls with the system has some inherent risks that can create some serious catch potential. When the cutter and support finger enter the open air gap between the high wings of the bowl they can get out of alignment. The support finger can actually move and catch on a wing as it comes around. I haven't cored in a while but what helped for me was to go deeper with just the cutter until the finger had more side to side wood support. Hard to describe but I did see better results if I paid attention to not letting the support finger tip be exposed too far out into the gap until I got a groove for the tip of it deeper into the bowl.
Thanks Randy, very helpful.

I always use masking tape to hold the shaft on the finger when coring live edge bowls. I found dead center, or just a tiny bit above center seems to cut best.

It's easy to adjust, move it up a bit and see if it helps. Feeding slowly-- eg with low pressure so the cutter doesn't jerk forward when it hits air-- with a relatively high rotation rate of the piece seems to help.
Thank you. I’m going to try raising the cutter height so that the pointed tip is on centre to see if that helps.

Back