• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Pm sale!

Do I buy the PM 3520b at 15 percent off or do I need something with a 3HP?

I am a beginner.
I like to turn bowls 12 - 18 inch. I want to use a coring system. I have access to big wood and bigger wood fairly often.

Does the PM have enough power to use a coring system (easily)
Does the moving headstock lead to vibration?
Would you rather have a fixed headstock and have to lean over the bed or a sliding headstock and work off the end?

I don't want to say money is no issue, b/c it is always an issue. Having said that, I could go 10k for a Oneway or VB36- The question is should I. I only turn in the winter. I bass fish in the summer.
Will the 3520b be all I could ever need or should I go to something else. Should I get more experience before I step up to a top-line lathe?

Thanks for the input

Brian, as a PM 3520B owner I'm totally satisfied with my purchase.

I've turned up the to limit, but really, 20" is one very large bowl and few people want to give up that much kitchen/counter-space real estate. So, that large is a limited market.

can't help you with this one. Someone else will be along and point you in the right direction.

I don't think so. I tighten the headstock handle and all is smooth.

Would you rather have a fixed headstock and have to lean over the bed or a sliding headstock and work off the end?

I like the slider and working off the end. Seems much easier and safer.

I don't want to say money is no issue, b/c it is always an issue. Having said that, I could go 10k for a Oneway or VB36

Now this is a challenge. The usual "rule", in cars, computers, and many other woodworking tools is more horsepower/bigger is better. But I'm not convinced that in turning that is always true. So, the question for you is: what do you want to turn during the part of the year you are turning.

You can always upgrade if turning become a 365 hobby which suggests a PM 3520 might be a good entry level for you.

The good news is you can't really go wrong at this level.

Enjoy the process and the turning,

Tom, Douglasville, headed to Dallas tomorrow for a week of grandparenting.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I love my Powermatic 3520A. Can't see that a more expensive lathe would give me much. If I did decide to step up I would look very seriously at a Robust. I like the features, the tool rests and the stainless steel bed.
As far as the Powermatic. I love the sliding bed. I don't do a lot of bowls but when I do a series of them turning off the end really relieves the tension in my back. Because I start bowls and hollow vessels between centers A VB-36 would'nt work for me. I have not had any problems with accuracy. The only problem I've had at all is forgetting to lock it down after moving it back to the home position. That doesn't happen very often but sometimes you get distracted. Doesn't take long to figure it out. You get a vibration.
I have cored with it. Power wasn't a problem. My technique is. still learning that skill.
I've had it for about 7 years now and it continues to do all that I ask of it. I've turned bowls up to 19" , spindles up to 38" long by 8" in diameter, and goblets so small you can barely see it as speck of dust. This machine works great.
Dislikes. The tool rests that come with it are mediocre at best. I purchased a Robust tool rest and a Bestwood tools tool rest. I use those mostly. The 12" rest that came with the lathe is OK.
Some people don't like the spindle lock. YOu can't lock it in position. It's never been a problem for me.
I wish everything turned off when you turn off the lathe. The Inverter stays on. I simply turn off the circuit breaker when I leave the shop and that takes care of that.
Would I buy another one. Yep. I like the 3520B even better. You have to spend quite a bit more money to step up to the next higher lathe. Robust Stubby and Oneway all have my interest but in my mind it's just little improvements that I find hard to justify the extra money.

Website
www.bowlturner.com
Hi Brian,

Many here have the powermatic and are really happy with it. I also think it is a fine machine and will probably do everything you would ever want to do.

I have a Oneway with the three hp and the outboard tuning attachment. For me it combines the best of both worlds. It is a spindle lathe and a bowl lathe. It also will core bowls with out a whimper.

When I was deciding on my last lathe, I decided to go with the 3HP. It just made sense to me to go for it. My Dad always said he would never buy a Caddy without the power windows. :) So I went whole hog and I'm happy I did.

I also see that you would be very much under 10 Grand for the same lathe I have. This is from Packards website.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

2436 Oneway 2436 Lathe 1-1/2hp $5,893.00
Motor: 3hp $500.00
17'' Outboard Attachment for 20'' and 24'' Oneway Lathes $324.95
Total: $6,717.95

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Still way more that the Powermatic, but way under 10 Grand.

But you have a wonderful problem to solve. I believe there is no best lathe... Just what is best for you.

Good luck and happy shopping,

Dave

I had the powermatic with 2hp and oneway coring system, and like you I liked big wood. it worked with no problems.....

never moved the head, just got use to turning over the bed ways..

but have to say like you at the time money was no issue and started with a mini went to a used jet1236 I think and the powermatic all in a months time back then. And with all that still dreamed of the ONEWAY 2436. Had to sell stuff due to lifes ups and downs but about to start again and going with the 2436 --3HP

the VORTEX is strong but if you love it go for it resale of the stuff was fast and did not take a beaten....

Vb-36

Brian,
I have a VB-36, my first wood lathe, and am totally happy. They are available with a tailstock, but I don't have one. The VB-36 will turn 36" dia over the tool holder slide. You mentioned 18" bowls, The corner to corner dia. of a hex shaped blank will be around 28". No problem on a VB. I do not have a band saw, I only chain saw off the corners and go. 10 to 15 minutes later it is round. Also when hollowing out the bowl inside, you can work from the end, nothing in the way. That is a big plus. No such thing as out of balance or vibration etc.because the machine is bolted to the floor. The only other wood lathe that I have ever turned on was a Oneway 2436, nice lathe but not a VB-36.
If I were you I would turn on all of them just to get a feel.
If you have any questions please feel free to contact me.
Good luck,

Dave

Website
www.digitalwinners.com
Plenty of good advice from folks that really use their lathes. You can't go wrong with any of the lathes mentioned. I have a 3520b, 2HP version, and have yet to reach it's limits. One thing I find myself doing a lot, is starting a turning with the tailstock snugged up...even when I use a faceplate. Then, when it is balanced enough, will remove the tailstock and slide the headstock down to the end of the ways, and work off the end of the lathe.

John Van Domelen

Retired Forum Admin
3520B owner here - love this lathe, just ordered the long bed extension for it - want to turn long (will have 81.5 inch spindle capacity). I like using the short bed extension in the lower position - will give you 37 inch diameter capacity off the end without having to use a floor stand.

Coring - dunno - don't have a coring system yet.

One good thing about getting the Powermatic, assuming some day you do grow out of it, they hold their value and the price seems to increase every year. You likely would not lose much if you had to resell it. That said, I haven't outgrown mine yet. Customer service at WHM tools is outstanding, they have sent me parts for my out of warranty mini lathe at no charge and are just the best folks to deal with.

Do I buy the PM 3520b at 15 percent off or do I need something with a 3HP?

I am a beginner.
I like to turn bowls 12 - 18 inch. I want to use a coring system. I have access to big wood and bigger wood fairly often.

I don't want to say money is no issue, b/c it is always an issue. Having said that, I could go 10k for a Oneway or VB36- The question is should I. I only turn in the winter. I bass fish in the summer.
Will the 3520b be all I could ever need or should I go to something else. Should I get more experience before I step up to a top-line lathe?

Thanks for the input

I've cored many times on my 2hp 3520A and never wanted for more power - love my lathe. IF I was to do it over today I might take a long hard look at the Robust American Beauty 25 with 3HP - but it would be a tough call

My 3520A has done me good :) and I forsee it doing me good for a long long time

Back