• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

R&D of New Turning Tool Handle

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Actually I'm using an Aluminum handle right now that is too heavy. Not all the time is it too heavy. It is one of the Big Stick tool handles and I use it for several tools but when I use the smaller spindle tools it's too heavy. That is partly because it has a steel threaded rod inside with a steel cap on the end. Between that and the length it is a little heavy for the smaller tools.
I think it's impossible to make one tool handle for all applications. I like my small tools to be balanced so the center of gravity is right behind the ferrule. Even though I try to use my tools with the handle on my hip which negates the balance issue, on smaller tools you can't always do this. On larger tools it simply feels better when I'm picking them up and handling them.

I think it's impossible to make one tool handle for all applications. .

I've been following this thread without voicing an opinion, because I didn't feel experienced enough to comment. I have to echo John's statement it is spot on. Just looking at my tool rack indicates its relevance.

Jake, I am glad you took the time to post. the more the better.

I know what you are saying, however I guess I was thinking of a handle type rather than a size. Meaning that the type of handle could be made in different lengths and weight, but have similar features, just scaled to suit.

Glenn

Glenn, most of my handles are typically wooden, of various lengths. The length/weight is what determines the "balance/comfort" of the different tools, when in use. A friend made, for me, a behemoth vinyl covered steel handle that I can put different tools into. It is the current home to a Thompson 5/8" bowl gouge, and makes a very fine rough-out tool. Another 1/2" Thompson gouge resides in a much lighter and shorter aluminum handle that was made and sold by another Ohioan, Dave Peebles. These two tools are for me and my bowl turning usage an excellent combo. The point here being, someone else may find these handle and tool combination's too cumbersome or too light/short. One size fits all is out of the question, unless, weight and length are flexible. I wish the designer(s) luck in their quest. Purely my view at this time and open minded on the subject.:)

Or, for those who like to turn at the elbow, most "bowl" gouge handles are unnecessarily long. Take a look where you're holding the tool, and if you're "choking up," as they say in baseball, the handle's long. If you have to hang a lot over the rest for banjo/rest and ways clearance, it's excessively long.

mainly bowls

Hmm, I tend to have long handles on all my tools. Although most of the time I am holding perhaps inside the first half of the handle. The additonal length comes in handy when deep hollowing.

The long handle gives me a more versatile tool and all I have to do is move my hand to an appropiate position on the handle

I dont turn much outside of bowls and hollow vessels. But certaintly I would not want a long handle on my thread chaser.

Tool handles

I buy pool cue sticks at garage sales and flea markets. I use the different weight sticks for the different type tools. I use mostly the butt ends. The very end for heft and choke up for light cuts. Works great for me.

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
Or, for those who like to turn at the elbow, most "bowl" gouge handles are unnecessarily long. Take a look where you're holding the tool, and if you're "choking up," as they say in baseball, the handle's long. If you have to hang a lot over the rest for banjo/rest and ways clearance, it's excessively long.

I really think the choking up is just a learned bad habit. Regardless of the length, one hand should be up close to the rest and one on the end of the handle. At least that is from my Ellsworth rememberings, and when I find myself choking up, I know I am back to that old habit.

It is a good point though.

Or, for those who like to turn at the elbow, most "bowl" gouge handles are unnecessarily long.

On the other hand, standard "bowl" gouge handles are pitifully, woefully, ridiculously too short and too skinny for me. I like to hold the handle against the side of my hip. My standard bowl gouge handles are hickory, about 20-24" long by 1 3/4" diameter. Bigger tools get longer handles, smaller tools and spindle tools get shorter handles.

Last edited:
Back