• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Reeves drive stuck

I have a HF 37406 lathe. I haven't used it in a while but fired it up yesterday. When I started to move the lever to increase the speed, it wouldn't move.:confused: I didn't try to force it. The manual has nothing on this. Any help is appreciated.

Dennis J Gooding

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
John, I once had a different lathe with a Reeves drive and know that the drive can be very fussy since it depends on a smooth sliding action to allow the variable-diameter pulleys to adjust. As a guess, some wood sap has gotten into the mechanism or some water has caused rusting. You probably will have to remove covers to get access to the drive and GENTLY pry the moving parts to break loose the binding material. Some WD-40 may also be useful, but wipe down the pulleys afterward to avoid contaminating the belt.

Dennis

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
First of all, I assume that the lathe is running since the speed lever can't be moved when the lathe is off.

If the belt is badly worn or if the lever was moved too far either way the last time that it was used then the belt can become trapped if it drops below the sloping part of either pulley. This problem can also occur if the setscrews for the fixed side of either pulley has loosened enough to allow that half of the pulley to shift its position away from the movable half and allowing the belt to drop into the trapped position.

If you do see the belt trapped then with the lathe off, slip the belt off the non-trapped pulley and then work it out of the trapped pulley. If it is the spring loaded pulley that is trapping the belt then you may need to use one hand to spread the two halves of the pulley while removing the belt. Now, with the belt removed, move the speed control lever to mid-range. Finally, reinstall the belt.

If the above situation is not the problem, then there is probably something broken such as a pulley hub or something to do with the yoke or follower on the spindle pulley.

Beyond that, it might be the rack and pinion gear connected to the lever is jammed or lubrication has dried up on either the spindle or motor shaft and resulting in galling -- usually on the keyway slot of either pulley.

Other than that, I have no idea.

BTW, use light grease and never WD-40 unless you completely remove it and then grease before operating the lathe.

Last edited:

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I agree with Bill. WD-40 is not a penetrant or a lubricant or at least not as good as the real thing. My guess is the moveable pulley is not moving. You can squirt some penetrating oil on the shaft that holds the pulley. Then make sure the lever and worm gear that move the parts are also free to move. Usually this will free things up and you can move the parts.
Once you get it working clean off the penetrating oil and lubricate with a longer lasting grease or even a dry lubricant if it's easy for dust to get in and stick to grease.

If you haven't used it for a while, it's possible the movable half-sheave on the headstock has become seized on the key in the shaft (steel key + mystery-metal sheave = corrosion). Be prepared for demolition and replacement of the sheaves. The cost of parts isn't severe.

Whatever you do to resuscitate it, replace the screws securing the housing with wing bolts or other means to facilitate lubrication. And lubricate often.

Website
www.ourfamilyforum.org
I have that lathe and have experienced a similar problem. Over time the speed adjustment handle became more and more difficult to move and finally became stuck in one position.

The solution was too first free it up by using WD40 and then removing the old belt... after that, any pulley surface and any shaft surface that was accessible was cleaned as much as possible and white lithium grease was applied to the shaft surfaces wherever possible... the condition did not seem bad enough to require a complete dis-assembly of the pulleys.
Then the belt was replaced with a good quality belt.

Once all of this was completed the operation was better that when I first purchased the machine... the lever could actually be operated using only my pinky finger. :)

Ps: While the freeing up, cleaning and lubing are all very important, it's my opinion that the original stock belt is total junk, so replacing it is an absolutely critical part of this whole process.

Last edited:
Thanks to all for your prompt responses! It seems that it is nothing serious. I was hoping to tell the Mrs. that it is gone and I need a new lathe. :D I'll take the cover off and putz around with it. The belt is new. The fellow I bought it from gave me the stock number of the NAPA belt for a replacement. I replaced the old belt and kept the sleeve for future reference.
Again, thanks!

You need a new lathe

:D You do need a new lathe.

One without a Reeves drive.

One with electronic speed control and reverse.

:D;)

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Tell her it's an Antique and if you go in an modify anything you'll ruin the value. Then go buy a new lathe.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
:D You do need a new lathe.

One without a Reeves drive.

One with electronic speed control and reverse.

:D;)

Tell her it's an Antique and if you go in an modify anything you'll ruin the value. Then go buy a new lathe.

See, we are all really trying to help you. And, if the above reasons are not enough, I will add:

• When you turn on a bad lathe, you get frustrated.
  • When you get frustrated, you take it out on the lathe.
  • When you take out your frustration on the lathe, you wind up with a cast on your arm.
  • When you have a cast on your arm, you can't do any wood turning.
  • So, do yourself a favor and don't turn on a bad lathe. Get yourself a Robust and smile.

New lathe

I like the line of thinking of the group. However, this is the real world, not Fantasyland.;) I thought about getting her a lathe for Christmas but that wouldn't work. I told her several years ago that I was going to get her a new shotgun for Christmas. She said if I did, it would only be used once.:eek: I got her a dress, instead. I guess I'll pull the cover off and go from there. Oh, me!:(

Last edited:
gifts that spouses could "use"

I like the line of thinking of the group. However, this is the real world, not Fantasyland.;) I thought about getting her a lathe for Christmas but that wouldn't work. I told her several years ago that I was going to get her a new shotgun for Christmas. She said if I did, it would only be used once.:eek: I got her a dress, instead. I guess I'll pull the cover off and go from there. Oh, me!:(

For a wedding present my husband got 2 bikes-I hate biking-live on a dirt road, dangerous. Then for xmas he got a ping pong table-I hate ping pong.
Then I got a shot gun. He said why didn't I shoot at the scurrying rabbit in the tall grass-I replied cause I could identify it. Then we hunted at some water. I shot at a flying "duck" (didn't hit). Husband said it was a green heron. End of my hunting. Wonder the marriage only lasted 28 years, :eek:Gretch

You have to be adaptable. We got the kids a snowblower for their wedding. Got more use than a gravy boat.

SWMBO is a sometime reasonable woman. Thirty years ago she got a chainsaw for mother's day, and didn't even resent spending time in the woods while I used it. Got me curtains for father's day....

As a sign of further mellowing, she allows me to drive her birthday present occasionally. With her bum leg she was having trouble going where the rest of us went. Solved. Grace likes it too.

Attachments

• G Swings.jpg
    G Swings.jpg
    352.3 KB · Views: 35
How did I lead us down a path from a lathe to presents for the spouse?:confused: Oh well, I got lots of info and stories about what and what not to buy the Mrs.

The way that I see it is that you only got two choices , buy your wife a new lathe and keep the old one or give the wife a old latheeeeeeee

Back