• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Reviving the C&C idea

Having a truly open and honest c&c forum would be great, if it can be pulled off.
I often have comment, or critique but generally opt to keep them to myself, for fear of offending. My comments are well considered and, I believe, accurate, but also ‘matter of fact’. Not mean, would never do that, but frank.

My experience has been in the arts—music, instrumental and vocal, and photography. Errors are quickly noted, without fear or favor. Critiques can be brutal and very honest. But, it’s always about the work, not the person. Understanding that makes the comment, ‘a swing and a miss’ ok and appreciated. My wife is very supportive of my craft, as I am of hers. We also have a hard rule against complimenting something that’s not great in our own or each other’s work. I have found over these many years that an honest evaluation, although sometimes uncomfortable, is the fastest path to improvement and excellence.

I haven’t read the article on methods of critique yet.
I reject the notion that a critique has to start with ‘what a great person you are for asking’, and ‘golly gee this is great, maybe even greater if you tried x or y’. I’m personally interested if one would share with me the things that would make my work better, and why.

Is there a way to be honest and frank? I would like to give it a try!

Setting up a special thread just for critiquing seems like a more than is needed, at least for my needs. I'm only a beginner compared to many on this Forum, but the thing I would most want a comment on is technique. Unfortunately what is most difficult to show online via pictures are problems on finished or rough-turned pieces. They don't show up well most of the time. Also, it's hard for anyone to comment on technique without observation of the individual's technique. While it's possible to show this via video, it can also be difficult to get the right view needed to demonstrate what a person is doing.

The other area to critique is design. Even though I've only been turning for about 5 years, I have my own ideas concerning what I like and dislike and would not likely ever submit anything for design comments. Design is a very personal thing.

So what's left is . . . ? Proportion? Orientation of the piece in the blank? I don't know. It just doesn't seem like enough to have a separate thread; at least for me.

Setting up a special thread just for critiquing seems like a more than is needed, at least for my needs. I'm only a beginner compared to many on this Forum, but the thing I would most want a comment on is technique. Unfortunately what is most difficult to show online via pictures are problems on finished or rough-turned pieces. They don't show up well most of the time. Also, it's hard for anyone to comment on technique without observation of the individual's technique. While it's possible to show this via video, it can also be difficult to get the right view needed to demonstrate what a person is doing.

The other area to critique is design. Even though I've only been turning for about 5 years, I have my own ideas concerning what I like and dislike and would not likely ever submit anything for design comments. Design is a very personal thing.

So what's left is . . . ? Proportion? Orientation of the piece in the blank? I don't know. It just doesn't seem like enough to have a separate thread; at least for me.
It would not be mandatory to participate. If you are uninterested in what other people think you would have the advantage to know where not to look.

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
I'm only a beginner compared to many on this Forum, but the thing I would most want a comment on is technique.
Randy......You are correct in that the only thing that can be critiqued is design, which probably includes shape. In another thread, Lennart's design for a laminated bowl is discussed, and this is a valid topic for critique.

I have been noticing shapes used by other turners for some time now......particularly in reference to the question of whether the shape lends itself to power sanding. Whether or not that is so, either opens up possibilities in design.....or prevents them! Power sanding allows newbies to have finished bowls that are reasonably usable, and allows them to take some pride in their work......but, ultimately prevents many possibilities in design.

You are also very astute in determining that "technique" is something that's impossible to include in a photo critique......because what happens on the lathe cannot be positively determined from a photo.....and is therefore left up to imagination. Technique is something that is discussed all the time on these AAW forums.

Those who choose to embellish their work with off-lathe design might also find a critique forum very useful.

I have been turning long enough, to trust my own evaluation of my work, but I can remember a time when I was a new turner, when I could have used some helpful advice in the form of a photo critique. Still, even recently, I've had comments about my bowls that I thought were valid.....and, have taken to heart. A separate critique forum could be very useful for some of us who visit this forum.....and I hope it happens......if it can be conducted without the perceived problems. We now have a forum moderator, along with the forum staff, who can oversee it.....so, I think it's reasonable to think it can be done.

-----odie-----

Last edited:
“The art of critique,” is a good read. Lots of great stuff. Tailoring a critique to the level of experience and acquired skill by the person requesting the evaluation is so important…something I easily forget.

Could the person seeking critique self identify, maybe not as beginner, novice, super cool ,or whatever, but at what level they want the comments? Level 1, 2 or 3, for instance? Although, I guess a lot can be inferred just from the piece presented.

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Could the person seeking critique self identify, maybe not as beginner, novice, super cool ,or whatever, but at what level they want the comments?

Good comment, Marc.....

Maybe not only the person seeking critique, but those who give the critique as well.....???? The common terms I've heard is beginner, intermediate, and advanced. ("Newbie" is slang for beginner, and I use that term quite a bit!....after all, I was a newbie for a long time, and I also consider it a term of endearment! ;))

This just occurred to me as I type this response to Marc.......I think it would be wise to require anyone giving a critique to have some photos in his/her personal AAW photo gallery.....or, at least, a link to online photos of that person's works. It would give the person receiving the critique some reference and perspective as to just where that advice is coming from. I frequently look for the works of those giving advice, opinions, critiques, etc., just so I can evaluate the validity of those comments......anyone receiving the critique should have this information available to him as a reference.

(I recently bugged @Doug Freeman to have photos in the AAW gallery, since he was giving a lot of advice to the new turners....and, since he did that, it gives his advice some credibility. Thank you for doing that, Doug. :))

-----odie-----

Back