• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Stabilizing w/ Tung Oil

Website
www.zachlaperriere.com
I have a good turning friend in town who is semi-professional. He thrives on stabilizing wood with epoxy, superglue, and cactus juice.

He mentioned stabilizing with tung oil and that he'd read about it somewhere online. Has anyone tried it? In particular, I'd love to hear about stabilizing soft spalted wood. It seems like stabilizing with tung oil might take a L-O-N-G time...but I'm intrigued.

Thanks in advance!

What kind of tung oil? Real tung oil, varnish sold as tung oil, or polyermized tung oil. Any oil on spalted wood dramatically changes the color, often makes it look very muddy. No idea how you get the tung oil to any real depth in the wood. Raw tung oil never really dries. Just can't see it being of any value.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
This is sort of related
A long time ago there was an article I read somewhere about using watco on wet hollow forms.
Get it really wet and put it in a plastic bag.

Supposedly over time (days weeks ???) the watco would pentertate the wood because it doesn’t dry in the plastic bag.

Then you take it on and wipe all the excess off let it dry a few days then apply more finish

Back