• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Tidbits on Wolverine set-up

I discovered two things today about the Wolverine grinding set-up that, despite all my reading and video watching, evaded notice. So, am posting this for future searches using "Wolverine" as key word/tag.
  • The conflicting information about extending the tool 2" or 1-3/4" from the Verigrind (Veri-Grind) -- this relates to whether the Wolverine is on a 6-inch grinder (extend tool 1-3/4") or an 8" grinder (extend tool 2").
  • Clearance: This relates to using the Raptor set-up tools with the Wolverine. For the Raptor tools to be accurate, the center of the grinder axle needs to be 6" above the base of the Wolverine. With my particular grinder (the Woodcraft 8" slow-speed grinder), this is impossible because the shields on the wheels contact the Wolverine before the grinder can rest on the surface of the table.

Like I mentioned, I'm only posting this so people who are considering the Wolverine or trying to figure it out have these particular details, because they weren't apparent or easily found when I was setting up and learning to sharpen.

Jamie I use 1 3/4" extension on all my tools and on all of my 8" grinders. Oneway states that the extension from the jig should be 1 3/8" to 2" with 1 3/4" about optimum. If you want look at Doug Thompson's site under sharpening and download the pdf file which shows exactly how Doug sharpens his tools. I use this setup to sharpen all his tools the only thing I do a little differently is to roll the tool more to the left and right to lengthen the the wing. Folks use mainly 1 3/4" or 2" extensions because of personal choice.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
It really doesn't matter what extension you use as long as you use the same extension all the time. I chose 1 3/4 so when my gouges get short I can get 1/4" more use. The 2" extension does help keep the jig from hitting the wheel (which I still do on rare occasions when I get in a hurry.
Since I make my own cheap versions of the Raptor out of plywood I can make them any length I want so The V arm can go where ever it works for me.

This topic goes to a question I have had. Would it be feasible to use 1 3/4" extension for bowl gouges, and 2" for spindle gouges? That's assuming the Vari-jig is kept the same. Would this be a meaningful enough difference?

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Doug you can extend any tool any amount as long as it's repeatable. The reason most of us establish one extension is simply it's much easier to remember or to build and keep up with just one jig. Early on I had several extensions and even several angles that I set the Wolverine jig for different grinds. In the long run I found that it was much easier to just use one of everything to simplify my grinding operations.

Jamie, I can't remember, in part because I don't use the Oneway base, but I think, with most 8 inch grinders you are supposed to raise the grinder by putting it up on a 3/4 inch thick piece of plywood. This gives room to get the base under the wheel covers. The Wolverine can be used with 6 inch grinders as well, and you have to raise them up higher. No idea about the other stuff. All grinders are different, no real standards out there.

robo hippy

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
Jamie, I can't remember, in part because I don't use the Oneway base, but I think, with most 8 inch grinders you are supposed to raise the grinder by putting it up on a 3/4 inch thick piece of plywood. This gives room to get the base under the wheel covers. The Wolverine can be used with 6 inch grinders as well, and you have to raise them up higher. No idea about the other stuff. All grinders are different, no real standards out there.

robo hippy

Robo, that's what I had to do with mine. I have that Rikon from Woodcraft and the Wolverine / VariGrind jig setup.

Does +1/4" = block of wood?

Doug you can extend any tool any amount as long as it's repeatable. The reason most of us establish one extension is simply it's much easier to remember or to build and keep up with just one jig. Early on I had several extensions and even several angles that I set the Wolverine jig for different grinds. In the long run I found that it was much easier to just use one of everything to simplify my grinding operations.

John, if we don't mind using two different extension amounts, would extending the tool 1/4" further accomplish the same thing as adding the little block of wood that you use when you sharpen spindle gouges?

Only aimed at Raptor users...

robo hippy

Yep, my 8" grinder is on a 1" piece of ply (just what was handy). My post about this is strictly relevant to anyone who wants to use the Raptor set-up tools. They will be inaccurate unless the grinder spindle is 6" above the base of the Wolverine, evidently. Seems to eliminate their use with quite a few grinders. I'm going with plywood.:cool: I like the grinder height because I don't have to bend over hardly at all to see what's going on. At my age, that's a plus.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Jamie it might but odds are it would be some other length if your picky about the angle you want your other gouges. I know guys that insist on having different lengths for the extension and different angles for the Wolverine arm. Theyve color coded all their tools so they know which setting for which tool. Too slow and complicated for me. When I'm doing production work I want things as simple as possible.

Dennis J Gooding

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Yep, my 8" grinder is on a 1" piece of ply (just what was handy). My post about this is strictly relevant to anyone who wants to use the Raptor set-up tools. They will be inaccurate unless the grinder spindle is 6" above the base of the Wolverine, evidently. Seems to eliminate their use with quite a few grinders. I'm going with plywood.:cool: I like the grinder height because I don't have to bend over hardly at all to see what's going on. At my age, that's a plus.

Jamie, I don't believe height is a factor in using either the Raptor tool or the Wolverine jig as long as you are able to use them without hitting obstructions. All other factors being equal, I believe that changing the wheel height merely changes the point on the wheel where the gouge makes contact. Clearly, poor choice of height could lead to the Raptor tool or the gouge hitting a wheel guard or the motor base.

Back