• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Walnut toxicity?

I was watching a YouTube video yesterday (https://66b2h.r.a.d.sendibm1.com/mk/cl/f/sh/1f8JIKXwHGZDuBb3XIYi94WtkJ/eijU5suclkLs) of Mike Davies with Record Power carving a spoon from a piece of walnut, (Record Power is apparently making an effort to launch a new package of carving tools and videos). It was well done, however he repeatedly stated that due to walnut’s toxicity, this spoon was merely for display or decorative purposes. Huh? Is this just a matter of the legal department issuing a CYA directive? I understand the allergic potential of walnut dust - I react pretty strongly to it myself, but I’ve never hesitated to turn utility bowls with it and feel that once turned, sanded and finished the risk is pretty much gone. Do others see it differently? Any more risk in a spoon than a bowl or platter? I’m curious to hear your thoughts, especially as I’m currently working through a significant supply of walnut blanks that I’m expecting will sell for the holidays.

Yea, Walnut is pretty nasty stuff, toxic to just about everything—animals and plants too.
That said, the big problem is if you chew on it. I believe that most finishes seal the problem. I sure sensitive people might feel differently.

Not positive, but I think when it is totally dried out and you can't really smell the walnut smell, it is safer, but not totally safe. One reason they used it for gun stocks is that it is stable, and the bugs won't eat the heart wood because it kills them.

robo hippy

Horticulturists worry most about the juglone that kills other plants around it. The highest concentration of juglone is in the buds, nut hulls, and roots. That is referred to as black walnut toxicity, and gets the ball rolling. The fears transfer to horse bedding and sick horses. Black walnut bark has been long used for traditional medicine, but the high tannin levels are the major benefit here; ---Medicinal Action and Uses---The bark and leaves have alterative, laxative, astringent and detergent properties, and are used in the treatment of skin troubles. They are of the highest value for curing scrofulous diseases, herpes, eczema, etc., and for healing indolent ulcers. There are also people who are allergic to many tree nuts. Finally, the juglone that people worry about is poorly water soluable. So to call it toxic to humans may not be accurate, but I can't say I would eat soup that had a walnut mixing spoon floating in it for hours.

Website
www.woodtreasuresbybreck.com
Walnut when completely dried and the oil cured is fine for salad tongs and mixing spoons, I agree they are NOT made to be chewed. I sell quite a few walnut utility salad bowls. Never had a problem. The green curlies I never use as mulch it's the oil in them that might kill delicate plants. Like Richard said in his comments walnut has been used in medicinal ways for generations. I think the fear of someone with a severe nut allergy might have caused most of this fear.

IMHO, the disclaimer was included at the insistence of the the company's attorney and does not represent a significant problem. There are some folks allergic to walnuts, like my grandson, and maybe they shouldn't eat off walnut plates or with walnut utensils, but allergic adults would know that. A theoretical area of concern would be walnut bowls or utensils used for food without the allergic person knowing it. Personally, I would expect such risk to be extremely low, but not zero. Even if it was zero, though, the company attorney knows that people can make a successful case out of theoretical and expose the company to liability.

Back