• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Wheelchair Woodturning

I am a paraplegic and just got into turning about a year ago. I have had a couple lathes and just bought a Jet 10x14 VS. Had my difficulties with turning in a wheelchair. I was curious if there are any other disabled turners in chairs out there that might give me some incite on what they use for lathes (sit-down/sliding headstock). I have been looking at the Oneway sit-down lathe along with the Vicmarc sitdown lathe. Any info will be good info.

Website
www.ralphandellen.us
Adam
I have a good friend that uses a Jet mini and one of the small metal lathes, from his wheel chair. In both cases the setup is such he can get the chair under the bench. It means the lathe is too high (for regular thought) but he has made it work

As I recall, Steve Russell was setting up a special symposium for "abled" turners, but I haven't been keeping track of where the planning is, or if it happened in the past. You might want to contact him and get more info

Hope this is some help
Ralph

Sit Down Lathe Plans

Adam Go the www.huntcountywoodturners.org and scroll down to club projects and click on sit down lathe stand plans and every thing you need to build a stand that a mini lathe can be used in setting down position.

Any problems let ne know as I was the one that designed and made the 1st one and couple more and they do really work.

Dan

I am a paraplegic and just got into turning about a year ago. I have had a couple lathes and just bought a Jet 10x14 VS. Had my difficulties with turning in a wheelchair. I was curious if there are any other disabled turners in chairs out there that might give me some incite on what they use for lathes (sit-down/sliding headstock). I have been looking at the Oneway sit-down lathe along with the Vicmarc sitdown lathe. Any info will be good info.

Adam, the June issue of American Woodturner last year (Vol. 25, No 3) had an article about Jim Proffitt. He's turns from a wheelchair and prefers to use a regular lathe rather than a special one, primarily because he demonstrates and wants to be able to use any lathe that the host provides.

You can access the back issues of the journal in the members' area of the website. If you want, though, send me an email (editorscarpino@gmail.com) and I will send you a PDF of the article.

Betty Scarpino, editor, AW

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Adam I worked with a guy many years ago in a wheelchair. He had one of the first Jet mini's. We mounted it on a board and tilted it toward him about 15 degrees or so. The board was mounted on stands that were tall enough he could slide the chair and his legs underneath. I hope that's clear. I've lost touch with him over the years and don't know if he's still turning.

My setup...

Hi Adam: I use the hydraulic cart from Harbor Freight for my lathe and folding work platforms by Werner make great tool stations for sharpening, etc. I took pictures but posting photos on this forum is too much of a hassel so I e-mailed them to you....Ron

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
I like the suggestion by John Lucas on tilting the lathe. I use one of the hydraulic carts from harbor freight and it sounds like a good way to set the lathe to the desired height, however there are also some problems. The most significant would that the hydraulic cylinder can sometime creep and potentially trap someone under the heavy weight of the table. I think that some locking braces would be mandatory to insure that this does not happen. A permanent minimum height lock on the scissor mechanism is another way around this issue. Another issue is one of convenience and independence -- how to raise the table since it is foot operated. It can be done, but would take a bit of ingenuity in design to meet your needs. Finally, there is no chair or foot room underneath the table so there would need to be an extension shelf to cantilever the late out several inches.

One of the main disadvantages of using a typical mini lathe (or any other standard lathe design) that is addressed by the Oneway is clearance between between one's lap and a reasonable turning height. When in a sitting position, there is only about four inches clearance between lap and elbow when the elbow is near the torso. This presents a problem for many lathes such as the Jet mini where the clearance is on the order of a foot between the spindle axis and undercarriage. Don't forget that the motor gets very hot so it needs to have adequate clearance from contact with any part of the body. The motor could be moved tot he back side of the lathe, but that still leaves more than eight inches between frame and spindle axis.

It is becoming evident that the time and expense of modifying less costly lathes is making the Oneway increasingly attractive.

Back