• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Wood from Israel

Anyone know a source for wood from Isreal? I am looking for a piece suitable for making a salad bowl, probably olive if I can find it.

Special request from a friend.

Send me a PV message if you like.

Ed

pieces too small

Thanks Jerry. I had found them on the web, but they only had small pieces (less than 8" diameter).

I think I am going to have to settle for a piece of Olive wood from California if I can find it from someone.

Ed

Website
paloarte.wordpress.com
Thanks Jerry. I had found them on the web, but they only had small pieces (less than 8" diameter).

I think I am going to have to settle for a piece of Olive wood from California if I can find it from someone.

Ed

Hi Ed, Olivewood is a tricky wood... I've never managed to get a big blank (bigger than 10") without having cracks on it. Even the paraffin wax didn't help. But small pieces of olivewood often don't crack...

The best places for Olivewood in California would be Sherman Oaks area also Sylmar. I think every house in Sylmar has an Olive tree.

Anyhow, I've some large blanks of Olivewood (with large cracks on them :( ) I'll try to look and find a good piece for you. By the way, my shop is in Sylmar.

Last edited:
Back